CPU and SSD randomly pegged at 100%

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by shhnedo, Aug 15, 2019.

1. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    The patient:
    Dell G3 3579 - i5-8300H / 8GB ddr4 / intel SSDSCKKF256G8 sata ssd(latest firmware from dell) / latest 1.10.0 bios from dell
    Running 10 Enterprise LTSC x64 on it - no heavy modifications / chopping done, only has integrated updates from the catalog and disabled defender in gpedit.

I've ran LTSC on my previous laptop with no such issue.

Now, I get random cpu AND/OR ssd usage spikes and the system freezes for couple seconds(or enough to tick me off quite a bit). Doesn't matter if I play a game(mostly wrath of the lich king and age of mythology) or watch a movie(potplayer) or simply browse the net(firefox). Whenever one of the two(or both simultaneously) spikes occurs, there's a noticeable unresponsiveness in any action I try to perform, even opening task manager.
    Whenever I open up task manager, I see that it kinda needs to catch up to the situation, because it shows normal usages for a few seconds and then refreshes to reflect what's pegged at 100% usage(either the cpu or ssd). The weird thing is, if I sort the processes by cpu or disk usage beforehand, just before task manager catches up, I can see System Interrupts, Runtime Broker, Windows Shell Experience Host, System and other such processes hogging said resources.
    I've tried clean install and kaspersky rescue disk on a usb stick - negative - no viruses, other than the Microsoft Toolkit on my 1.5TB hard drive, which I'm obviously not taking seriously.
    I've read about problematic drivers causing issues but in device manager I have no such drivers. Also, all the drivers I'm integrating/installing are from dell/intel/nvidia directly.

I honestly have no idea what the cause can be, as I don't see any dependencies for this issue. The thought of some weird miner had crossed my mind, but then again, I'm really not the person that clicks stuff like "fReEcDkEyS.CoM".
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If you have a specific problem then a specific answer.
    At the moment in this case, I personally do not see any problem here. If so, just some phobias in air.
    And if you have an IntelĀ® SSD 540s Series 240GB, M.2 80mm SATA 6Gb/s, 16nm, TLC, then Your 1.5 TB extra hard drive doesn't matter at all.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  4. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    Just for the sake of testing,re-enable defender & this time install avira free version & then see if it makes any difference.

5. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    #5 shhnedo, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    (OP)
    I think it might end up being the 431.36 nvidia driver. I clean installed 431.70 and issue appears to be gone for now.

Edit: Scratch that, spoke too soon...
    While the issue doesn't occur as often anymore, it still exists. I notice Windows Search and Windows Shell Experience Host constantly being suspended right after being on top of the SSD hogging list.
    I've tried sfc /scannow - nothing damaged.
    Re-enabling defender and installing an antivirus didn't help either.
    I'll probably have to make a partition on the ssd for a non-ltsc sku in order to test that.

Edit 2: Issue is gone... again... The only difference is the .720 CU from August 18, I have done nothing else to the LTSC partition.

6. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011