CPU at 100%

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by vinci46, Oct 25, 2009.

1. vinci46

vinci46 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    Ok I will try to install Acrobat 9 and perform a System Interrupts check.
    I'll let you know.
    Thanks

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it might just be something within the software itself like the pdf printer or something. I find it hard that 8 doesn't work when it works fine on Vista. I do remember seeing a compat warning one time though when installing 8.

3. isp60000

isp60000 MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    I dont know what to say...but great for you
    I wonder when Microsoft will make update to kill act*vator

4. seany

seany MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009

Hey I had the same problem with my laptop the explorer was eating my cpu using about 70% and 54% of my ram. The laptop wasnt being used it was just left there. Any ideas?

hp pavillion dv5-1110em
    AMD turion dual core
    3gb of ram
    ATI radeon 256mb

5. bambara

bambara MDL Junior Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Did you install any codec packs lately on your pc? This exactly happened to me and it was the fault of a codec pack. From searching this problem, though, I realized there are several causes to it so it might not be a codec pack and be something else.

6. fbodlovr

fbodlovr MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    I hope this isnt another Vista issue!!!! lol

7. seany

seany MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009

Ok these are some pics there taken when I have only the task manager and the process explorer open.thx

Attached Files:

8. W0lfdale

W0lfdale MDL Junior Member

Aug 28, 2009
    I see no problem with your system, system idle process is > 88%

9. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    it could be a lot of different reasons dude. For example, it could be your antivirus updating or scanning, it could be something like system mechanic that does background operations, it could be that windows itself is doing something like a defrag based on task scheduling. It could even be that maybe your cpu is working too hard, maybe a lot of dust. I know heavy dust can make the fan work harder which believe it or not make the bios use more resources to monitor the CPU and control the fan speed and temp. Anyway, hope you fix it dude.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. W0lfdale

Aug 28, 2009
    Ok, I ovelooked the CPU usage plot. It is not smooth although the CPU usage is not high.

So, in process Explorer, go to the View menu, choose Select Columns.., then go to the Process Performance tab, and check CPU History. It should look something like the attached picture.

Now, look for the process(es) with highest peak values in CPU history (except System Idle Process), then double-click it, and go to the Threads tab, and take screenshot.

Attached Files:

11. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Chipset drivers maybe ??? try to update to update that :cool:

12. seany

seany MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009

Ok heres what I got. Hope I did it right lol
    the highest are:
    1.firefox
    2.process explorer
    3.touchpad driver
    4.sidebar
    5.csrss.exe - client server runtime process.

Thx for your help.

Attached Files:

13. W0lfdale

Aug 28, 2009
    @seany

you insist on doing it your way!!!!

Anyway, the images are tiny, can't get anything! All I get from the first image is that the processes you refer to them (except one) don't have a bad CPU history!!!!!!!

Try to do it as I suggested and give screenshots of Process Explorer while the
    processes have high CPU usage history.

Moreover, you're trying to isolate what's causing you trouble and you add to it by running firefox!!! It's a resource hog anyway.

14. vinci46

vinci46 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    I have cleaned as suggested the CP fan from dust but it continues to work hard even if the CPU usage after a while at 100% goes down.
    Enclosed are two screen shots of explorer process.

Attached Files:

15. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Also, do you run a Tablet PC? If not then not sure why wisptis.exe is using any CPU at all
    Disable the "Tablet PC Input Service". It should stop at least that exe from eating cpu

How long after bootup did you take this screenshot? I have seen some systems take 5-7 minutes to settle down depending what AV program is running.

Say after 10-15 minutes after boot without trygint to open programs to make things even slower, is the CPU still being pounded?

17. DKnight2066

DKnight2066 MDL Junior Member

Jul 19, 2009
    #38 DKnight2066, Oct 29, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
    That's an excellent point. Some AV programs still don't play nicely with Win7. Even if they install and, technically, run properly, they can cause a number of background issues, including lag.

That's why I was talking about disabling all 3rd party processes first, then Windows-based services afterward, if things didn't improve. I did the same on this system after my first install. I disabled 1-2 processes, then rebooted to make sure everything was ok, repeating this process until I had a stable, but streamlined install. Everything from Homegroup to Superfetch was running by default, chewing up more than 50% of my ram, and my CPU was jumping all over the place. Tweaking services, and keeping my AV program out of my constantly-running services, fixed all this.

--DKnight