CPU microcode update for 889LCD/ATX - Kontron mainboard

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by pvdven777, Jul 25, 2017.

1. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
  2. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    CBROM is showing the position of the microcode-section. You can simply replace one or more sections with new microcode with hex-editor - but consider the size and position.

Windows 10 should work on the machine, you can try to use an older build and/or the x86-version instead of x64.

3. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Ahh, I kind of overlooked the obvious in that intelmicrocodelist shows the offset in the binary file. I think I will probably find my way around a hexeditor too, however I'm still finding it difficult to match the CPUID/Platform ID to the right microcode files as they seem to use different notation. I thought I once found some cross table for that somewhere, but I can't seem to find it (back) on the delidded website so far.

Also I'm a bit worried about the potential effect of flashing a bios with the wrong checksum, wouldn't that be sort of be sort of fatal ? IF not, then it's worth a gamble.

4. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Checksum will be checked from the flashtool before programming to ensure a unaltered file, which could brick the machine.

I did a similar mod yesterday (AMIBIOS modded with MMTool), the file was accepted by flashtool and the mobo has the latest microcode now.

5. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Well after modding the BIOS binary with a hex-editor I am getting stuck on something completely unexpected.
    I can't seem to get the BIOS flashed. It seems like it's got nothing to do with the modded file though. I can't even update the existing BIOS with the manufacturer provided binary and tools. the "Bflash" tool always reports some kind of error identifying the BIOS/Chip. :wallhead:

I must have tried at least half a dozen alternative flashtools, including uniflash. Although Uniflash appears to read/dump existing BIOS just fine after trying to write there is no change.

:dots: I like a little challenge, but maybe the cosmos is telling me to call it quits on this board here :flag:

6. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    #7 pvdven777, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    (OP)
    Ok, so I couldn't give it a rest still :D

I've checked the info on other boards from the same manufacturer and similar type/time period. That led me to another flashtool, or at least a much later version.
    Now it seems that this tool does the job, no errors come up. After rebooting and reading back the BIOS from the system I can see there's an additional microcode as expected.
    Unfortunately though after putting the modded XEON (5130 with s-spec, SLABP) in place the system wouldn't boot up.
    Now I am left wondering....
    - is the modded CPU ok
    - did I put the correct microcode in the bios (lga 771 microcodes\65nm\cpu000006f6_plat00000004_ver000000d2_date20101001.bin)
    - is this board at all capable of booting with this or any other more recent CPU. This Xeon is 65nm but it's a 1333Mhz bus while the board supposedly supports 533/800. I would've expected it to at least boot up although not at full speed.

7. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    So yesterday I put microcodes in the BIOS for just about every spare LGA775/modded LGA771 CPU I had laying around.
    However I couldn't get the board to show me anything on display with any of those.
    So I conclude that my mission was sort of successful but it seems the board just can't be pushed to operate with anything beyond old P4/Celeron @533/800 mhz bus for technical reasons that I don't care to find out.

Thanks to Lutschpuppe for helping me out here. And that's it for this topic.