cpu over heating

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Legendaryone, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Legendaryone

Legendaryone MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    i just build a PC with some parts i had lying around it turn it on all is working than it turns off i check all the cable all is well then checked the CPU and it is really hot i think it is overheating when i turn it on the mother broad i a galaxy 650i ultra and the cpu is a p4 2.8 800mhz 512mb 400mhz ram all of the parts are supported i do not no what is worng

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    have you used good thermal paste on the cpu heatsink ? Is the cpu fan working correctly ? Its also worth checking that the cpu voltage is not set too high in bios settings.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Legendaryone

Legendaryone MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    its got good thermal paste on the heat sink the fan is working fine but i does not stay running long enough for me to get into the bios

4. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    The CPU won't overheat so quickly you cannot enter the BIOS if it has proper thermal interface and a heatsink/fan that is functioning properly. P4's throttle so well I've seen ones run without a heatsink still function.
    You can monitor the core temp with any of several utilities or the hardware monitor in the BIOS. Core temp, real temp, speedfan, etc.
    Is the BIOS delivering the correct vcore for the CPU?