Create a Windows 8 to Go Drive from within Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Jan 20, 2013.

1. sid8840

sid8840 MDL Novice

May 2, 2010
    #21 sid8840, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. mdl4ds

mdl4ds MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2013
    I am having the same problem when I try to create the second partition, and I am using a normal USB 3.0 flash drive.
    I have researched the internet and there is no clear answer about that. The only hint seems to be related to 'removable' status of the USB flash drive.
    If anyone has any hints to share of how to get beyond this, I would really appreciate that.

Dan

3. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    what is the exact problem ?

4. mdl4ds

mdl4ds MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2013
    I have the same problem with step 6 on a USB stick, and I know I applied step 4 for sure.
    Pisthai, have you tested your steps on USB stick or on USB drive (disk)?
    If you have tested the USB stick scenario, did it work?

5. mdl4ds

mdl4ds MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2013
    I meant to say, the diskpart throws out the same message as for him, when I try to create the second partition on a USB stick:
    No usable free extent could be found. It may be that there is insufficient
    free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset. Specify
    different size and offset values or don't specify either to create the
    maximum sized partition. It may be that the disk is partitioned using the MBR di
    sk
    partitioning format and the disk contains either 4 primary partitions, (no
    more partitions may be created), or 3 primary partitions and one extended
    partition, (only logical drives may be created).

6. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    did you try converting your disk to a GPT ?

7. mdl4ds

mdl4ds MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2013
    The USB stick is seen as removable storage in Windows and trying to convert it to GPT (with diskpart) fails with:
    ================
    Virtual Disk Service error:
    The specified disk is not convertible. CDROMs and DVDs
    are examples of disks that are not convertable.
    ================

8. TulTang

TulTang MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2011
    Microsoft's concept is Win-2-Go, it is not Win-2-Carry that you have to carry external hard drive with you. All you need is just a small UFD in your pocket, isn't it?

My USB2.0 Apacer 8GB is enough for my Win-2-Go.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just testing via USB 2.0 (external HDD 320GB)Windows 8 Pro to Go on an Asus MB M2N68 with 4 GB Memory, AMD Athlon X2 CPU,no any other drive (HDD,CD/DVD/Floppy) is connected and have to say that it's quite slow. If USB 3.0 is available, you hardly feel a speed difference compare to an normal desktop with SATA HDD. OK, it works but now I understand my staff while they were complaining about the speed.

That said, I would not recommend to use USB 2.0 for Win2Go!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. netguru

netguru MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2011
  11. TulTang

TulTang MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2011
    Microsoft has never recommended or suggested USB 2.0, The USB 2.0 Apacer 8GB is my test run. The spec. for Windows-2-Go personal use is

1. USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB : So that you could run OS as fast as possible and there will enough free space for other thing.
    2. No Windows RE or uninstall Windows RE in Windows-2-Go : This is to protect the host computer from being auto-repaired by WinRE in your Windows-2-Go that may cause damage your host computer OS.
    3. Set SAN Policy to "4" : This is 2-way protection. It will protect your Windows-2-Go from undesirable thing comming from host computer and protect host computer from undesirable thing comming from your Windows-2-Go. However, you would lost communication with host computer storage media. You may set to other policy.

Every time you plug Windows-2-Go UFD into a new host computer, Windows-2-Go have to detect and config new hardware which will take more and more space in your UFD. Recommendation is using Windows-2-Go with not more than 4 host computers, one at home and the rest at your work place. Forget main concept not that Windows-2-Go is not Windows PE. It is designed for using in the office and home. ☺

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I know all that quite well!! Work since several moth with Win2Go now, using external HDD's in USB 3.0 Enclosure which works quite well. Fortunately connected with USB 2.0 the speed isn't good but to bad!

ALL USB Sticks I had checked would either not work (not supported) or just to much to slow.

Maybe the Problem is Thailand related because till now, there just a few USB 3.0 Sticks are available and some of them, special the Kingston Sticks, are just China Copies, sold to an terrible high cost and didn't working! Others like Apacer, Transcend, PQI, SAN just to name some, are not supported by MS/Windows 8! All those you listed, are not available in Thailand, or let tell it this way, I haven't see them or find them on the List's of my Suppliers!

Anyway, I need those Win2Go for service warks and here I need to use HDD's instead of Sticks! On the oldest HDD (Acer 500 GB USB 3.0) with Win2Go Enterprise, the system folders already exceeding an size of 50GB! And the total used Space (NO data) is more than 120GB

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. TulTang

TulTang MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2011
    Why is that SO BIG! I assumed that you connected to several host computers and Windows-2-Go had to detect and configure new hardware every time connecting to a PC.

I suggested (not recommend, it is your decision) to make Windows-2-Go VHD.

After finishing installation, at first boot from PC, create a 2-3 CHILDs and make an entry to those CHILDs. When you connect to a new PC then...

1. In Boot Manager Menu, select CHILD's entry you created. Now everything happened beyond this point will go to your CHILD, NOT PARENT VHD.
    2. After logon to Windows-2-Go, rename that CHILD's entry to be the name you preferred.
    3. Create another new CHILD from original Windows-2-Go VHD for using with another PC with another CHILD's entry.

Now when you plug to PC you have once connect just select the CHILD's entry you renamed for that PC.

Once you connect to a new PC, just follow the step 1. and 2.

To create more entry, boot to PARENT VHD from your first boot Windows-2-Go. The entry is limited to 256 entries.

This would save boot time and HDD space. However, the Windows-2-Go performance would drop 3-5 per cent under VHD environment. ☺

14. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    I think you are taking about diffrencing VHD... Few questions.
    How you configure USB to boot from WIndows2Go VHD? According to my knowledge VHD boot is only possible from WIndows7 & above installation. So you need os that support VHD boot.
    How to configure diffrencing VHD & add that too USB boot menu?

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I don't need to save space, I still have much enough available for a few years for the work I do with Win2Go! I would be a problem if I would use USB Sticks for my work, I wouldn't even be able to have enough space on an 64GB Stick!

If I would use VHD as you explain above, I would even have less space available!! It also would complicate the work.

As I wrote, I use that drive already several month, nearly 6 to be precise! Do you really think that I would change anything because all is just working as I need?! If I would take your "advice" that would require a work of min 3-4 day's to get all back and working, if it would work anyway! And I'm not that stupid just to "crash" a very well working system because someone suggest a change and claim things will work better! How you could? You even don't know what I'm doing for work and what all need to be installed! Get real Mister!

16. TulTang

TulTang MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2011
    This is the modified one of my script in batch file for Windows-2-Go in Parrent VHD...

@Echo Off

::=== Create, attach and format VHD ===
    Set /P VFILE=Create full path with new VHD file :
    Set /P VMAX=Maximum VHD size in MB :
    Set /P VTYPE=VHD type (Fix or Dynamic) :
    Set /P VLAB=VHD drive label :
    Set /P VLTR=VHD drive letter :
    Echo CREATE VDISK FILE="%VFILE%" MAXIMUM=%VMAX% TYPE=%VTYPE% > vhdscpt
    Echo SELECT VDISK FILE="%VFILE%" >> vhdscpt
    Echo ATTACH VDISK >> vhdscpt
    Echo CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY >> vhdscpt
    Echo FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="%VLAB%" QUICK >> vhdscpt
    Echo ASSIGN LETTER=%VLTR% >> vhdscpt
    Echo ACTIVE >> vhdscpt
    Diskpart.exe /s vhdscpt
    del vhdscpt

::=== Apply Wim or Swm File to VHD ===
    Set /P SRCFILE=Full path with Installation file (.wim or .swm) :
    Set /P INUM=Input index number of image to install :
    Set /P PROC=Input product key for installation :
    FOR /F %%i In ("%SRCFILE%") Do Set SWMNAME=%%~dpni& Set SWMEXTN=%%~xi
    If "%SWMEXTN%"==".swm" Set SWMPTTN=/SWMFile:"%SWMNAME%*%SWMEXTN%"& Goto :install
    Set SWMPTTN=

:install
    Dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:"%SRCFILE%" %SWMPTTN% /Index:%INUM% /ApplyDir:%VLTR%:\
    If Not "%PROC%"=="" Dism /Image:%VLTR%:\ /Set-ProductKey:%PROC%
    bcdboot %VLTR%:\Windows /s %VLTR%:
    bootsect /nt60 %VLTR%: /force /mbr

::=== Configure ability to boot Windows-2-Go VHD from USB ===
    For /F %%i In ("%VFILE%") Do Set VROOT=%%~di
    bcdboot %VLTR%:\Windows /s %VROOT%
    bootsect /nt60 %VROOT% /force /mbr

After reboot to complete Windows-2-Go VHD installation from 1st host computer, reboot to host computer and go to Diskpart to create CHILD
    CREATE VDISK FILE="%VFILE%" PARENT="%VCHD%"

Create CHILD as many as you want and then using EasyBCD to select BCD store from USB Drive:\Boot\BCD and make new entry for every CHILD.

When I plugged my USB to another computer, select a CHILD entry such as HomeVHD, OfficeVHD or NotebookVHD.

That's all. ☺ ☺ ☺

17. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    hello guys, it is possible to create a windows 7 to go?:confused: