create network & restrict user's rights' on win 7/xp

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by MaveRick23, Apr 17, 2013.

1. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    Hello here,

There is a 10-20 PC for example in my work place and i would like to create network between them to share printers, files and e.t.c to each other, and to put password on that network. (there is created by other a network but it has been puted a password and i don't know that password, is it possible to remove that password and how?)
    second is that i would make to restrict user's rights' on all PC i would they have not have right to delete on C drive anything, install, format executable files and e.t.c...

I will be glad to help me do that effectively. Thanks in advanced.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #2 pisthai, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    Question: is that existing network designed with one machine acting as Server? It seems to be because otherwise it's a bit difficult for to share the data (not the printer) between all users.

Data sharing differs a lot from Device sharing! Later is an easy task. Data sharing is much more complex. Best is for sure to use an dedicated Server, which means a computer which act as Server only and not as Workstation too! It's also possible to assign one computer as Server. that would require tu structure the storage used 1. for sharing (Server Data) and the other for the computer/workstation User.

Would some like that works for you?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    I agree with pisthay better use or install a server (if possible), then you could centralized all shared printers and GPO.

4. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    so i should install windows server on on pc and after from that pc is possible to centralized and managed another PC? thanks

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Come on, what you want? Manage (control) an other computer or 20 of them, or sharing Printer and Data?

Normally on an dedicated Server will not be worked, a server is for to share information (Data), share Devices and run application which have multi user functions. And Web-Apps and Sites for sure.

That server could run Windows (several edition and version) if it's used as both: Server and Workstation, or Windows Server OS which is Seat/Client limited depend on the license used, standard is 5 Clients, more need to be added separately.
    Linux is also an option as server and much less costly because it's Open Source and has no client limits.

So, now sit down, and plan your Network with Server and clients, include Apps needed to run on Server (if any), Devices connected to the Server, and what the Admin should be able to do. That also includes a graphical plan of that network with infos of any connected machines.

Printers could be connected to the clients as usual and be set as shared printers which will work just fine.

So, don't think it's easy and just to do, it isn't! That's why you clearly have to plan up front what your network should be all about.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I wouldn't use Peer to Peer for more than just a few machines. One is the question of security. Secondly, as more machines in an Peer to Peer network, as more Data Crashed will occours. In an Network with more than 3-5 machines, all the data should be centralized for to be sure that hey could be used seamesly from all users and didn't crashing while data cross "flying" of the network.

Anyway, it's up to you what you like to do and how, and as explained, sit down and make your planning regarding to your need. And keep in mind, Data are "gone" on the fly, are gone and it's easy to lose that in an Peer to Peer network while on Server, if the security is handled properly, it's much less risky!

7. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    :bangin::bangin: HomeGroup, Grouping, many more P2P features....:clap3:

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    First thing that gets turned OFF on any W7 install!

10. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    OFF??? Then what?

11. MaveRick23

MaveRick23 MDL Member

Apr 13, 2013
    I would sharing Printer and Data to each of them. if there is 20 or more pc they have able to have contact to each other and send to each other data or possible use shared printer. thanks

12. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    If 20 or more PCs consider server-client networking....

Do you have PCs those will share or its just planning phase...:fishing1:

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's not a really good solution.

Using 20 or even more machines, special in an corporate network, Data-Security should be in first place. To be clear, it's not because of Printer or other devices sharing, it's because of Data-Security. I could hold an referendum on just that but like to keep in simple words. Efficient work means just that, and that includes in an company with OA (Office Automation) data should or even must be inter-changeable by all user in one aspect and in the other to be efficient, they must be centralized. To have centralized data is also important for to have them as secure as possible, which includes reliable backups.

What do you think would be happen if any user has access to any of the other computers and start to search for just 1 document? It could end up in a huge mess because that user may have to go to any of the available machines for to find what he's i looking for.

The biggest corporate Network we manage with my company has near 3k machines running. Even in the smallest network of our customers, there 27 machines, which is just an trading company without manufacturing. They worked some year with an network you asking for and were having huge problems with mishandled data. After we took over the service, installed an dedicated Server over a weekend, Mondays were began a new life for their employees. In the first month after the change the business volume were increasing near 25% which covered the cost of the change more than in total!

Think about, and think straight what you need to achieve. The device sharing is the most simplest part of it!