Create Windows 8.1 Install for HP Envy

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Edub05, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Edub05

Edub05 MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2015
    I have an HP Envy laptop that fails when trying to restore using the recovery partition.

I do not have the USB or DVD to recover it. I do have a USB that came with an HP Omen laptop and I can boot the Envy to a PE environment and see the recovery partitions.

Is there any method to extract the raw windows 8.1 installer so I can get a fricken OS on this stupid laptop?

Not looking for a step by step just a point in the right direction if there is one!

Thanks,

-E

2. TrustMe

TrustMe MDL Member

May 2, 2013
    #2 TrustMe, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Here is a link to download a 8.1 ISO if you would like to do a clean install.

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...-x64-ISO-Download-ALL-VERSION-LANG-HTTP-links

If you would like to try and recover from your recovery partition you can try this:

Download a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO same version as yours.
    Extract it to a folder.
    Assign your recovery partition a drive letter so you can access the files. (this can be done with the command prompt)
    Copy the .wim or .esd file from the recovery partition and rename it install.wim
    Delete the install.wim file from the Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO you downloaded and replace it with the one from the recovery partition.
    Re-ISO the files.

This procedure was put together by Murphy78 and deserves all the credit.
    I've never tried it myself but the guy he was helping said it worked. Good luck.