Create Windows 8.1 KMS Host on Windows 7 Professional in a VM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by kelorgo, Nov 4, 2013.

1. xunhuan320

xunhuan320 MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2013
    OK !!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!!!

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't know if it's important but the kmsmicro.vhd's 2 mystery files are transposed with the ones supplied in kelorgo's files.
    the *0* file from the vhd matches the *1* file from kelorgo and vice-versa.

It could be that using the vhd has re-generated the files

3. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    :eek: Blimey! Never realized that and I bet there's quite a few who didn't.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. vactis

vactis MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    I can't get the WES7 host to work under Workstation 10. It just says that the hardware is out of tolerance :confused:
    Capture.PNG

I've changed the UUID and used the four scripts to update registry and files but it doesn't help :(

5. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #47 kelorgo, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    (OP)
    That is truly bizarre. I have never seen that partial product key before. That is very intriguing, I will have to look into how this happened :)
    Oh, I didn't realise that before! I guess the sspsvc.exe etc. came from a Win 7 Professional or Enterprise. That would explain why the same tokens work on Win 7 and WES 7. I shall update my post with this knowledge.

6. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    I don't understand what you are saying. The two files are always identical to each other, one is just a backup. Also, which set supplied by me are you referring to? I supply files for 4 different VMs, so there are 4 pairs of *.C7483456-A289-439d-8115-601632D005A0 files. For each pair, the two files are identical to each other.

7. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Hi, yes, I used the ones from vmware, I know they are different. I did not have VMWare workstation installed so I give it try on ESXi since I already had the win7kms machine from before and it worked!

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    The hashes don't match, but it doesn't matter because they work.

9. vactis

vactis MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    That was it! I Didn't realise that I had to activate it online. Works fine now in ESXi, thanx :)

10. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Sorry I still don't follow. The hash of what doesn't match with what? In the files I supply, for each pair, the members of the pair have identical hashes.

11. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    @xinso: I had a think about this, and this is my conclusion. It is obviously mathematically very unlikely that you accidentally created a new product key that would activate online. The key with a partial of HMFP4 therefore must be a remnant introduced from somewhere.

I think you mentioned somewhere that you created your wes7-kms (V6 Updated) by transferring some spp-related files from a Win 7 installation with KB2885698 to an existing WES7. This may have introduced the product key

Could upload your copy of wes7-kms (v6 Updated) somewhere so that it could be studied? Or at least the spp-related files that you transferred from Win 7.

12. rrohela

rrohela MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    But this his no benefit as this can only activate win8 no office & win 8.1....

13. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #56 kelorgo, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I was able to replicate the HMFP4 partial key on a WES7 VM in VirtualBox. The WES7 I used is the original one released by 100 last year, so it does not have KB2885698. The Software licensing service version in this VM is 6.1.7601.17946, the same as in a Windows 7 Professional system with KB2757817 installed. I got the key to appear by copying my VirtualBox tokens/mistery/wpa/digitalid into this WES7 VM.

The significance of this is that KB2757817 adds support for up to Windows 8 only. The product key must be coming from the license files (tokens/mistery/wpa/digitalid), which originate from KMSmicro.

My interpretation is that the Windows 8 CSVLK ending in HMFP4 is present in KMSmicro, just has been supressed/superceded by the Windows 8.1 CSVLK ending in 2PFVV. When the license files are transferred to WES7, which is not equipped for a Win 8.1 CSLVK but is equipped for a Win 8 CSVLK, it somehow uncovers the key from the license files.

The interesting thing is that so far I was not able to replicate the same result on a Win 7 Pro system. Somehow only WES7 is able to uncover the HMFP4 key, probably because it's a frankenbuild and is therefore acting in a non-standard way.

Lastly, I suspect that xinso, unfortunately your wes7-kms doesn't actually include KMS v6 yet, or not propertly. Otherwise, it wouldn't be switching to Win 8 channel instead of Win 8.1.

PS: My favourite method for checking licensing state is to use
    Code:
    cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv all > slmgr-output.txt
    which will give detailed info about all licensing channels, shows which ones have a product key installed, and which of those are active.

14. vactis

vactis MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh, I must be really tired :doh:

So right now it's just not possible to use WES7 to activate Win 8.1?

15. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007
    anyone have the time to upload the vbox image with wes7 and the HMFP4 activated......I would like to do a couple of tests
    somehow locally the image will not activate and stays out of hardware tolerance. maybe too many VMs kicking around and I've mixed them up.

16. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    No I didn't miss what you reminded me of. Instead, you are the one that missed what I wrote at the end of my post :p

"slmgr /dlv all" shows the current state of the system for ALL activation IDs. That includes both KMS_W8 and KMS_W8.1 (if present). It will show you which one of those (and several other activation channels) currently has a valid product key and therefore in use by the system, and which of those are activated.

In my wes7-kms, I can see that the KMS_W8 channel is in use, with partial product key HMFP4. Since I never installed KB2885698, the KMS_W8.1 channel is not even present.

17. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Kelorgo, thanks again for your great howto. I finished up my W7Pro KMS VM just a few minutes ago and it's activating just fine. One thing I forgot was that I'm using a US W7Pro VM on a Dutch W7Ultimate host. I normally only use W7Ultimate, so I had to find a Pro version quickly, and US was the only one I could find at short notice.
    Of course this meant that the VM was in a different timezone, which I overlooked at first (hey, the clocks matched, so how could I know?:whistling:)
    Thanks again, I'm looking forward to more wizardry from you!!:flowers: