Creating New Files - Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by magoood, Mar 16, 2009.

1. magoood

magoood MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2009
    Hi
    I restored my PC to XP SP3 after some journey with Vista as I wasn't satisfied with it but I do like something in Vista which I really miss in XP

When I want to create a file like a new text document for example, then upon right clicking and choosing: New--->Text Document, Vista creates the file with the filename ONLY, selected automatically for me, so that I can type my desired filename right away (PS I have the extensions to show in my files). Is there any registry hack to have the same behavior in XP? because XP highlights the WHOLE line including the file extension as well

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Which app?

What app are you using to create your *.txt doc?

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. magoood

magoood MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2009
  4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Assumptions

It is an occupational hazard, perhaps, but I prefer clearly articulated details/examples. Succinctly stated, you know what you mean but I do not. So I will offer one observation based on an assumption.

Presently, I am forced to assume that you are at the DT or Explorer and you right-click to open a context menu. Therein you select NEW>TEXT DOCUMENT, e.g. A Notepad icon or file holder is then created at which you immediately type the document name. You're done. You now have a named, "empty" file that you can open at will and modify.

If this is not to what you are referring, then I would suggest you detail the steps you are taking in XP (you are no longer in Vista so I think it best to not bog down your post with what Vista does) to create your desired end. Perhaps you could resort to a hypothetical.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Compare

with

The former bears little relationship to the latter yet they pose the same lament.

Now, why so picky? Well, for one your terminology is incorrect and presumptive, the consequences of which lead those who would otherwise expend their resources in your behalf to become frustrated at the unnecessary back and forth guessing game designed to ferret out PRECISELY what you are seeking to accomplish.

Regarding filenames . . . .

All versions of MS Windows employ filenames which consist of two parts: the BASENAME and the EXTENSION. For the file, README.TXT, README is the BASENAME and TXT is the EXTENSION. Common usage also allows the term PRIMARY FILENAME as being synonymous with BASENAME. Thus, in any Windows OS when speaking of FILENAME one is speaking about the BASENAME and the EXTENSION.

Nonetheless mindful of one's familiarity (or lack thereof) with proper and effectively utilized jargon, the example, above, contrasted with your post adequately conveys the point, to wit: in the latter, I precisely know where, what, when, why, and how; in the former, I do not have a clue.

This is not a gratuitous critique - simply a plea to please help those who would help you by submitting cogent posts, replete with supporting details and illustrations.

Monk

6. magoood

magoood MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2009
    Hi
    Feel very sorry because I was unable to express what I wanted exactly in a way that can be understood and thank you a lot for your time, patience and effort.
    Once again, I'm sorry. I'll write in a much better way in future posts
    Bye

7. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    I understand what you mean completely. No need to rewrite your post. I do not think there is a way to do it. It is just built into the shell and there is nothing that can be done about it. Like you said the best alternative is to find an app or a reg hack that might be able to emulate it.

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
  9. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    I think the only "built in" method is to change the settings in windows explorer so that the file extension is not displayed. That way when you double single click a file (left click once, pause, then left click again) to rename a file, it only highlights the filename and not the extension. Of course the extension is hidden, which sort of defeats the purpose.

I miss this Vista feature a lot in my XP machine, I wish there were a way to make this easier. I'm currently double single clicking, then trying to highlight only the file name and not extension but for long file names this is hard and I usually end up changing the extension by accident and the whole icon changes color :p

10. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Phlox

@ Vistadude: what's the problem? Phlox works EXACTLY as you wish. Load it, press F2 and only the file basename is highlighted, just like Vista. :confused: And, since it places an icon in the notifications area, you can disable it at will.

Monk

11. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Arggg you're right, but I hate downloaded plugins. On top of that, I'm running XP media center edition, which isn't offically supported :D

12. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Plugins

@Vistadude: I agree about the plugins - and they take up space. I found two scripts that supposedly "fix" the issue but I can neither of them to work. Still trying though.

Monk