Creating XP home CD for Asus

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by demonwebb, May 15, 2011.

1. demonwebb

demonwebb MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    Badly infected Asus netbook, product key sticker unreadable, I was able to get the key using magic jelly bean key finder. Tried to reinstall from an XP home CD that has worked before on various machines, but Im getting an unauthorised product key message. I have run the OEMBios tool and have identified the correct files but I'm a little confused as to the rest of the procudure. Do I just copy the compressed 4 files to the i386 folder of the XP folder before compiling to an iso and burning? Do I enter the product key into the general setting at this stage? Is this enough to allow pre-activation? I am using nlite.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. demonwebb

demonwebb MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    Thanks, I might try that. Its very frustrating that these vendors make it so difficult to do reinstalls of legally owned licenses. I'm only trying to reinstall the OS that came with the machine and I always prefer to keep it legal especially when it is for my customer not myself, but if push comes to shove..

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What I pointed to u is obviously legal!! It uses ASUS oembios set & u can use MS generic SLP keys.... :)

6. demonwebb

demonwebb MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2010
    I know, but my client has a license for home, so she doesn't own a license for pro so she would have software installed illegally, if she contacted Asus or Microsoft, it might bounce back at me (although I doubt they would give a toot) and they would say she had a pirate copy. The machine is also a bit crippled wrt hardware - 15GB HDD, and maybe I'm wrong, but I believe home uses less resources than pro. So I was hoping that I was on the right track with what I said.

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Like Tito said, use a generic OEM:SLP key from Microsoft or an Asus OEM:SLP key and ur good to go. Its not pirate softwre or anything!

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #8 urie, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017