Credential Manager Question on win7...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sadsack, Oct 2, 2010.

1. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi all,

Decided to give up the idea of slitting me wrists, and try posting my hopeless question here, and lay my head on the block ready for removal.....

This is probably a really easy thing to do for most, but i'll be fooked if I can work it out.

It concerns IE8, and it's inability to insert username and passwords automatically into forum and other web pages that you want saved.

For instance I first tried using "Credential Manager" and inserting the webpage and username & password, that was a total no go, it just wouldn't work on the websites that i wanted.

next I thought, must be obvious its in ie8 settings, so I made sure that autocomplete was ticked and to ask to remember user name and passwords, that never works, it never asks for user name or passwords.

Then I thought aahhh it must be "protection mode" got rid of that, and yes, still the same.
    why oh why can't it be as easy as XP, and firefox 3.0.14, just requests to remember your passwords, and you can still have autocomplete turned off.
    I just like the idea of username and passwords auto filled in, but I really don't want everything i type into ie to show me what it thinks i want, (hope that makes sense chaps).

I am totally at a loss, and can you believe peeps ask me to sort out there problems with XP, but I am a total noob with win7.

I beg of anyone here to show mercy, and try to tell me where the hell i have gone wrong.

thanks all,
    ttfn

sadsack

p.s. I came here after trying for 4 bloody hours....

2. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    My only suggestion would be to use either Chrome or Firefox, but I understand that might not be a solution for you.

I haven't used IE in a very long time, but I'm sure someone else here would be able to provide constructive input ;)

3. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks for the reply Calistoga,

I rang a mate of mine and he said run a copy of ccleaner, as that has sorted out his ie8 problems before. Something that I didn't really consider to be honest.
    win7 is running on a new build and I may have inadvertently clicked NO to saving passwords ect... So that might be something else i need to look into.

ttfn

sadsack

4. Error_801

Error_801 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 Error_801, Oct 2, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
    have you tried Following

1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. Click “Tools” and select “Internet Options”
    3. Click “Content” and select “Autocomplete”
    4. Click “Settings” and check the “User names and passwords on forms” and “Ask me before saving passwords” check boxes.

becareful using cclearn if you dont no wot you are doing you could mess your O/S up

Windows 7 Credential Manager will only work on Windows 7 Ultimate

5. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Thanks for the reply d0PeMaN,

Yes mate it is Ultimate,

4. Click “Settings” and check the “User names and passwords on forms” and “Ask me before saving passwords” check boxes.

Yes all ticked.

No I haven't tried ccleaner yet, I thought I would wait a while before attempting to use it, although I do use it on XP just to clean cache but to leave everything else.

sadsack

6. Error_801

Error_801 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    i dont use ie8 anymore im a FF but his a screenshot of my Autocomplete settings for ie8 these are the default setting nothing has been change since i install W7 r your the same as mine

Attached Files:

7. sadsack

sadsack MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hi d0PeMaN,

No pic for you mate,

But I can tell you that there is a tick in
    Yes "Address Bar"
    Yes "Browsing History"
    Yes "favorites"
    Nothing in "Feeds"
    Nothing in "Use Windows Search for Better Results"
    Yes "Forms"
    Yes "User names and passwords on forms"
    Yes Ask me before saving passwords"

I can't see how "feeds" or windows search" would have anything to do with it. that's why I left them out, (Not Required by me).

Just tried it logging onto here again, (i'm typing this on another p.c.) and it refuses to ask me to save username or password.

Just cannot fathom what it is....

sadsack

8. Micro

Micro MDL Member

Apr 26, 2009
    Be sure that you are accepting cookies for the forums and/or webpages you want IE to remember names and passwords for, that's how they are actually authenticated.
    Without the cookies, names and paswords are still saved in IE, but not recognized by the sites and have to be entered at each visit.
    Once you enter a name and password for a site, IE will not ask a second time about saving them unless you change a name or password aor make a typo.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...