Currently have a dual boot mac. I have win10 insider preview.ANYWAY for me to get win 11?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by suzook, Oct 2, 2021.

1. suzook

suzook MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2021
    currently have a dual boot mac. I have win10 insider preview working. ANYWAY for me to get win 11 as an update? I dont want to setup everything again. Thanks.

2. suzook

suzook MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2021
    #3 suzook, Oct 3, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    (OP)
    Thanks. That worked to DL the win11 preview, then it gets to 17% installing, and I get an error...says "There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070002)"

Is there a way to update, not using the windows update? Or is a clean install the only way?

3. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Do you let windows setup fetch updates during setup? nvm see you don't want that but it is a solution to your problem helped me out with the same error code with inplace upgrading

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. suzook

suzook MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2021
    Great, so run it from win10, and as an update? Sorry for all the questions. A bit out of the loop. Thanks again.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I have no clue how it works out on a MAC and dual boot scenario, should be running MAC OS on a MAC, imho;) but that's how it works for normal usage.

6. suzook

suzook MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2021
    LOL, I have both. Need windows for certain things. So that worked. Thanks!

7. domineus

domineus MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2014
    #9 domineus, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    I'm testing this on my mac with the method described (I also ran another batch to join windows insider preview as well).

So far it is continuing download. Hopefully it works.

Edit - it worked perfectly. I was already a windows insider on the dev channel but I had to reapply the windows insider status using the offline tool floating around. I deleted the appraiserres.dll and the update went super smoothly. However, there's another update looming but so far so good

8. suzook

suzook MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2021
    I am just hoping we can update to release without a clean install.

9. domineus

domineus MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2014
    #11 domineus, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Me too. I'm still testing on my 2020 mbp 64 gb ram. It's at 100% install w/in Windows so I assume the upgrade will work with any luck

EDIT Black screen of death at 40% and it took a bit to reboot to osx. Maybe clean install is the way to go

10. domineus

domineus MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2014
    #12 domineus, Oct 6, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    After a lot of trial and error I have Windows 11 installed on my mac - it's not as straightforward especially since I was on the Windows 11 dev channel. I attempted to update to release candidate and received the black screen of death.

I had to start with a fresh install:

1. Download Windows 10 and Windows 11 isos from Microsoft
    2. Follow instructions in this thread https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/win-11-boot-and-upgrade-fix-kit-v2-0.83724/ (use option 1 as Apple has no drivers to download for Windows 11). Use a windows computer here. Save the output (updated windows 10 w/windows 11) somewhere
    3. Through bootcamp, select the partition size and for the Windows iso, select the iso generated from step 2
    4. Your machine will reboot. Go through the Windows setup.
    5. Run all apple updates. There's one for precision trackpad

And here I am with Windows 11. Now testing window insider - I experienced issues so let's see.

back as a windows insider too