Customize Windows 8 Start Screen with Start Screen Unlimited

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Dmitrys, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Do you see unlimited.exe in your Task manager?

2. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Now not. But I'm investigating it.

3. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    You should access to the Internet and check for Windows updates.
    It should fix the problem.

4. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Good news! It works for metro apps too.

5. WinX77

WinX77 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    That should make things perfect for me :biggrin::worthy:
    hope you can add those features in the next version!

6. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    I plan to release new version on March 31
    Thanks!

7. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    New version 1.5.0.14 has been released.
    Tested with Windows Spring update.

Changelog:
    Displaying Windows taskbar on the Start Screen and in modern apps.
    Search provider selection.
    Six useful tools in the System menu.
    Advanced customization: visibility of any menu item or gadget.
    Fixed saving position bug.

startscreenunlimited.com

8. WinX77

WinX77 MDL Novice

Apr 28, 2011
    the new 1.5.0.15 version works well...
    Bug report:
    the click/double click lag bug from 1.5.0.14 is fixed.
    but the start button still disappears when a metro app is opened & taskbar is set to visible.
    feature requests:
    is it possible for the icons to have a flatter design to complement the looks of the start screen?
    also can the clock be larger in size?
    a way for the user to manage search engines...maybe use custom search engine url?

9. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Try the Start Screen Unlimited 1.6
    New flip clock is sizable and float.
    Also, you can choose the standard digital clock but it looks better because of real transparency.
    You can choose Glossy or Metro theme.
    Yes. You can edit the "searchengines.json" to setup your own search engines.

Best wishes,
    Dmitry

10. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    My computer is up to date.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. beta-hunter

beta-hunter MDL Member

Dec 14, 2008
    @Dmitrys, is there a registry key that tells the Task bar to 'always display"?,if so ,can you post a .reg file please as this would be very useful.

12. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Unlimited.exe must be located in your Program Files subfolder.
    Close "unlimited.exe" using task manager.
    Open "unlimited.exe" and check on the Start screen.

13. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    There is no magic registry key.
    Unlimited.exe displays takbar window manually and change the size of the Start Screen window.
    Unfortunately the Start button in the left corner prevents it from working.
    This why we hide it.

14. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    On my opinion, it is the useful to set taskbar on the right or left side of the screen. The vertical tabs are better to read and use.
    If you have a wide screen, the full width of the screen is not always used.

15. beta-hunter

beta-hunter MDL Member

Dec 14, 2008
    sorry but i don't understand, so your app calls the Task bar to display on the Start Screen? or are you totally reproducing the Task Bar with your own code?

16. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Unlimited manipulates the taskbar and system Windows.

17. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Start Screen Unlimited 2.0

Touch support is ready. Start Screen Unlimited is a fantastic tool for Windows 8 tablet devices!

An analog clock looks great on the Windows start screen.
    Start Screen Unlimited offers the seven different clocks!

New Status Panel displays the important information: free drive space, recycle bin fullness, wireless and power information directly on the Windows start screen.

startscreenunlimited dot com

Attached Files:

18. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Before Windows 8.1.1 this could have been useful, but now, it really does not add anything useful to the start screen, the only thing you'll be adding is redundancy and sucking up just a little more system resources :doh: I mean really, all these features are now available with Windows 8.1.1.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Dmitrys

Dmitrys MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2014
    Seems like you did not use our program.

20. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #40 Dark Knight, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    I would not have commented on the thread if I hadn't, I'm not saying it is a bad idea but personally the app offers me nothing I can use, although it may be useful to novices.

IMO it is not a very appealing app aesthetically , certainly not an app that I would pay for, which by the way is way over priced for what the app does (yes I understand there is a limited free edition also ) and most of what your software offers is available now on the Windows 8.1.1 start screen, the rest of what it offers I can do without.
    I don't need yet another clock, I don't need yet another link to my recycle bin, I don't need to see how much space is being used on my drives, all that is available with one click on my desktop.
    This app reminds me of something that Stardock would put out and I absolutely abhor Stardock products.

I may have thought about keeping the free edition had it been more appealing but I also do not need to be reminded to purchase the deluxe edition every time I open my start page either. There will be free users of your product and paid users, you will not gain many more paid users if you keep nagging your free users, your free users will eventually pay for the product provided you don't nag them to death to buy the paid product.

Advice:
    1.) Awards from CNET are not impressive since CNET is well known to be bundling spyware and Trojans with their downloads for quite sometime now, I would consider getting awards from more reputable sites.
    2.) Add the ability to skin your product to make it more appealing to others.
    3.) Get rid of the stuff that is now available on the Windows 8.1.1 Start Screen and add more useful things.
    4.) Get rid of the nag to purchase the deluxe edition, your free users know there is one and don't need to be constantly reminded of it, if they want the paid version believe me they will buy it, nag them about it and it will on deter people from buying it.

Do that and then your product will be worth what you are charging now, but right now, the way it is, I would not even consider purchasing it ...... but that is just my opinion.

In my personal opinion the start screen app that will make the $$$$ when someone figures how to do it will be the one that will allow one to make their Start Screen tiles transparent, now THAT is something I can use.