Cutting the Cord

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe C, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Recently I have become disgusted with the outrageous amount of charges Concast rips me off for.
    And my "contract" expires in April and I will get reamed even more. So.... I decided to go OTA (Over The Air) and purchase an antenna in order to get that old fashioned HD tv for free. I was taken back by the cost today to go OTA with an antenna, but in the long run.. less than 6 months, My cost for cutting the cord will be covered by off setting the cost of cable tv. For the couple of cable channels I do see which is Discovery and History, I can get those from Hulu for about $6.00 a month. I'm not sure how well this will work out. For OTA tv I just watch the local a.m. news and sometimes the national news
    Has anybody else have any success in their cord cutting experience?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    You can get quite a few channels from USTVGO.TV

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #3 ipx, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #4 Joe C, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    (OP)
    Do you have any experience with using Over The Air tv using an antenna?
    I have not seen or used OTA since before tv stopped using analog and went with HD. I recall having analog tv in years past but do not know about this OTA HD tv they have today

5. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #5 ipx, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

6. MMIKEE

MMIKEE MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2012
    I've been using OTA (HD) for many years... I live approx 70 miles from most of the OTA Towers but with a High-Quality OTA Antenna I get about 30 Channels/Sub-Channels...
    I also subscribe to Hulu and Netflix for content not available with OTA... I will NEVER go back to Satellite / Cable TV providers again...

7. Wazoo

Wazoo MDL Addicted

Nov 5, 2013
    Use TV Fool to see what channels are available in your area.
    https://www.tvfool.com/

8. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I just canceled my Frontier TV, since the NFL season is over now.
    I save $110.00 USD by cutting the cord & going w/ the OTA TV instead & keeping the internet & land line.

Last year before the NFL season I was using OTA & even though I will miss several channels I am getting for 1 more week
    I'll be fine with what I get using the indoor Monster AEGIS 80 antenna w/ booster.
    here is my local channel Lineup in HB where I live.

https://www.tvtv.us/ca/huntington-beach/lu23303

9. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    my direct tv was $170 a month now I pay $ 35 a month streaming on hulu frndly and amazon. the only hard part is the learning what is where, so you have to create your own directory as you go ! we got frndly for the hallmark channels amazon for movies and tv and hulu for movies and tv we got the cheaper hulu not the $54 one. whats nice is you only subscribe for a month at a time if you want you can do a year. no contracts so if I want Disney for a month or two I can drop it any time I want. im using a firestick and its easy to set up I got the 4k model for $34. the wife has her game shows recorded so she doesn't miss any the are also free sites and they have adds like regular tv, and most of the pay sites will give you a free week to see if you like them, and if you like the dark side they have sites that explain to you how to jail break your device lol you do need a little band width I have 20 down and its ok for 2 tv's but not enough for a tv and downloadind im told if I had 25 down it would be ok

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #10 Joe C, Mar 15, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    (OP)
    Well I have found out that even if I use Hulu, or an Amazon Firestick that I will still need a cable tv provider to allow access to cable channels like Discovery and History Channels. This nullifies any ideas I had about getting these channels for free, but I did manage to find something called Philo...web site here:
    https://www.philo.com/player/guide
    Looks like it has all the average cable channels and it is only $20. per month, no contracts. I don't need any devices because I do have a smart tv with internet access so I can access cable channels on line at a more affordable cost.
    I ordered an antenna and a mount (they already arrived) but I still need to get a ground cable, tools to connect the F Connectors and an amplifier. The weather looks good this upcoming week so it looks like this is when I'll attempt to get up on the roof and attempt this antenna install. Wish me luck and I'll post results after I get this installed.

On another note: I tried to see what my internet costs will be with out a "package" with tv or phone, but Comcast is not giving me any options on line for internet only service..:mad: I may have to go to their store on the other side of town in person. I can get AT&T service which is 100mb down and 6 up for $50. a month but AT&T service sux (goes down often). Concast offers faster service so I'll have to wait to see what I can or can not get from concast

11. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    right now im running with 20 meg down from AT&T an fire sticks HD I can run two tv's at a time .I can get Philo like you say for $20 but the nice thing about streaming you just need internet and you can pick and chose what you want and most streaming services will give you a free week . there are also free streaming with adds just like the old tv. some times you rent a service just for a special series and then drop them. remember you don't need cable or satellite for streaming just internet as far as streaming discovery and history channels try googling who streams them, I can run two tv's or one tv and my computer at the same time with out buffering but im thinking of bumping up to 25-30 meg because if I try to down load a file its very slow. I live in Washington state so I don't know if the service is better here or there. but do search for streaming services I watch a lot of movies and the wife likes to watch the hallmark channel and game shows.

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #12 Joe C, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    (OP)
    Currently I have Concast with 300mb down and 24 up, with 200 channels of tv. I have to cough up $143.18 for that and I am getting an "introductory offer" that expires next month. My costs will soon go up to an extra $122.00 on top of the $143.18 and Concast doesn't offer any Vaseline either. (I think they like it dry)
    Just to use their tv service I have to pay for:
    Regional Sports Fee
    Broadcast TV Fee
    Service with TV Box
    Service to Additional TV with TV Box
    TV Franchise Fee
    TV Regulatory Cost Recovery
    I must cut this $$$ CORD$$$$ ASAP
    Check out Philo.. it offers 3 Hallmark channels.

13. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    "frndly" has 3 hallmark channels, the game show network , the weather channel, the out door channel, pixl , and a few others for $7.99 a month or $80 a year and cloud dvr to store your favorite shows for 30 days and 2 devices . I also seen a combo sale for Disney+ and hulu for $12.99 a month on facebook . I had directv and was paying over $90 a month just for the hardware and another $80-90 for the service.
    also on face book there is a group selling firesticks "loaded" with vpn software and programs to view what ever you want for free , I found that I can get all the software an vpn program and install them myself but at my age im not as adventurous as I once was LOL

14. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i can direct to the IPTV guy $55 a year all channels PPVs adult, sports,hbo showtime cinemax all of it....it cost $4.55 a month cant beat that. u need this

[​IMG]

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    but I do not want or watch PPV's, adult, sports, hbo, showtime, or cinemax. I don't see that now nor do I have any interest in wanting that stuff now. I don't see much tv...but I do like Gold Rush, Dangerous Jobs and Oak Island. But not much more than that (unless GoT makes some kinda come back)
    I will look into that MiBox though... looks interesting!

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    like i said u can see the shows that u mention u get all channels for $55