DaRT 8.0 (Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by FreeStyler, Nov 9, 2012.

1. garf02

garf02 MDL Member

Sep 15, 2007
    you can not have the Italian version (Desktop Optimization Pack 2012 (x86 and x64) - DVD (Italian))?

2. chenzen666

chenzen666 MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2008
    Many thanks for the links :0

i have now made my own copy so easy to make and have just tested it out

3. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    The MSDaRT_2010-blueforce was over 900MB, how is this so small?

Also to install it advises you use an addition package which cannot be found on MS site yet.

Capture.PNG

4. =)(=

=)(= Guest

#44 =)(=, Dec 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  5. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks, the actual link in Dart opened to a webpage but not files.

6. LM3

LM3 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I am getting error code 2503. Trying to install 32 bit. I have ADK installed.

7. mehcoib

mehcoib MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    totally agree. I have no time to download 3 Gb (not saying it's junk) and I REALLY don't need customized version, a default version will be just fine to use on multiple different computers (not mine). You said you found it somewhere else, can you tell me where? Please pm me, otherwise angry FreeStyler will delete it instantly, as he likes to say...

8. maxb2000

maxb2000 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Hello!

How can I install DaRT 8 on my PC? Just a simple guide.

Thanks you!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. mehcoib

mehcoib MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    thank you FreeStyler, thank you very much... I've been trying to create DaRT8 for hours now, after downloading gigas of data, and this stupid program doesn't allow me to create the ISO claiming "The drive must have 1GB of free space"... there's more than 1 GB free on EVERY single partition of this computer!!

Really, wouldn't it have been easier to let someone upload x64 and x86 standard versions of this ISO?
    No... why?

oh my godness, how will I survive without a customized DaRT image?

10. user_hidden

user_hidden MDL Expert

Dec 18, 2007

it is as simple as running the MSI and building the ISO, or find a torrent. :eek:

11. mehcoib

mehcoib MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    I tried both for HOURS (am I lazy?). Didn't find a torrent, didn't succeed in building the ISO (see inexplicable error message above).

12. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #52 HALIKUS, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    If you meant incorporate DART into a custom WinPE (winbuilder project), its sort of easy.

1: Make a DART like normal.
    2: Go inside the dart wim to system32 and find the 1 kb file created with a long, random string of numbers (ie: ca5ee39a-442c-451a-bb17-940f0642e2df) and DartConfig.dat. Sort by date may help.
    3: Extract the cab from the DART installation (ie: C:\Program Files\Microsoft DaRT 8\v8\Toolsx86.cab) somewhere, and add the files from step 2.
    4: Mount your Winpe.wim, and add the files from step 3. If you included system sweeper, you must also copy the directory from the Dart.wim in Program Files\Microsoft Security Client. Unmount and save wim.
    5: Create a desktop shortcut for DART in the winpe referencing x:\sources\recovery\tools\MSDartTools.exe, or add this to your Winpeshl.ini :
    [LaunchApps]
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\sources\recovery\tools\MSDartTools.exe

Done.

Because its pre-fab warez for the lazy. Its the same reason that custom WinPE isos and custom pre-activating Windows isos aren't allowed here. A prefab DART is a personal invitation for a DMCA notice. If you can't create something as simple as a DART image, you don't deserve to be a system admin.

13. mehcoib

mehcoib MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    you're right, I'm very lazy. I only work 80h a week and that's not enough, because sometimes I have time to see my wife and daughter, and even to sleep (a little) at night... sorry for being such a loser. But you're so smart, you should be able to tell me why I get this error message? "The drive must have 1GB of free space" and there's much more than 1 GB free on every partition, so can you tell me what I'm doing wrong, Master?

looks like you're right :eek:

thank you VERY much. I didn't check if you uploaded x86 or x64 version but I downloaded it and I'll try again to do the other one by myself, I guess I'll do a fresh install of Win8 on another computer just to succeed in creating these f**** ISO files!

14. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Ok. Provide more info on your problem. You have been pretty vague thus far. I have no crystal ball, and all i can predict so far is that you are doing something wrong that others aren't. Did you manage to install waik? Did you manage to install DART? Can you run the DART installer? Can you try another PC? Did you try in Vmware? Did you try saving to another drive? etc etc etc.

15. mehcoib

mehcoib MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    #55 mehcoib, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    yes that's right, I may have done something different since I'm the only one with this problem, but everything went perfect until I try to click on "Create", see attachment. Drive E has ~32 GB free.

I tried with only 1 PC, I will try this Sunday on another one. And yes I tried to save to another drive (even external HDDs). My temp folder is big enough (~2 GB free). Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, and this is driving me crazy.

Attached Files:

16. mehcoib

mehcoib MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2013
    Just installed Win8 on another computer, and creation of x86 and x64 ISO files went just fine. No idea why it was not working on PC #1. Just FYI.

17. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Im not really worried about injecting this into Windows Setup. I just have both DaRT 8 32 & 64 as a Setup options using BCDEdit.

18. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    I just got around to creating a DaRT8 iso. I used the Dart defaults and during creation, all tools were shown as selected. I booted the iso without any problems, but I cannot use all of the tools. All are listed, but some have no active links and cannot be launched. Does anyone know what might be wrong?

It seems like some commands have been disabled, but as I mentioned above, all were selected. Is there something else I need to do to get access to these tools?

Tools that I cannot use with my iso:
    Computer Management
    Hotfix Uninstaller
    Locksmith
    Registry Editor
    SFC Scan
    Remote Connection
    (I think default was not allow)

Thanks for any infos....

19. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Are you using the right architecture? :kick:

20. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    #60 adric, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
    I used MSDaRT80_x86.msi from Feestyler when I installed it. I'm not sure, but I thought I selected 32-bit for the media while running the wizard. I will mount the boot wim and see which cab was used for the tools and post back.

Edit:
    Just checked \windows\system32 in the boot.wim and can't find any of the DaRT tools. Where are these files supposed to be?

Edit2:
    Booted the DaRT iso again and ran command prompt. I found the tools on x:\widows\system32. I was able to run regedit32. When i tried CompMgmt.exe, I got the following message: Maybe that is why these tools can't be run.

This application requires that an operating system be selected for repair

The same goes for Locksmith.exe. How does one select a system when you boot DaRT?
    I did not see any prompts for this. I booted the iso from a flash usb stick with grub so this may not be working correctly.
    I will try it from CD.