Data stroage issue

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by adrian2055, Nov 8, 2013.

1. adrian2055

adrian2055 MDL Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Hello everyone,

After having a 4th external hard drive crash on me last night I'm looking on a better solution to store my personal files. I'm considering getting a Blu-ray burner when I get my new desktop in a few weeks, but I'm not sure if putting things on disc is the best way anymore. Can someone tell me if Blu-ray discs are ok for storage? I have about 40GB of things left, but I will have to re-download most of the stuff that I lost so that total will rise. Is disc the best way or do I need another solution?

2. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    There is a chance only the controller went down as I have had happen. If they are 3.5" drives, than you can break the cases open and install the drive itself in another external enclosure or your PC... Blueray's take forever to burn BUT, if you keep them safe, they are reliable for data storage.. With that said, I would use a NAS/ USB box setup and running RAID. More expensive but more reliable also.. $30 Terrabytes ( $30 25gb 50 disc Bluray spindle ) wouldn't be a bad idea just to keep them on hand and back up the RAID box just in case..

3. supaduper

supaduper MDL Member

Jul 3, 2011
    4 go bad ? that is some bad luck, only buy a qualty branded ex disks like WD or seagate and buy two of the same model and do dual bckups. if one fails you can open up the good one and hook it up again, like matt167 said you could set up raid depending on your system and computer skills

4. willyj

willyj MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2013
    don't you think about cloud-based storages in the internet? you can easily find more information on this matter using google.
    How about dropbox.com?
    or if u still want to store data at your place then I heard that a new flash drive has been created with 1 Terabyte of free space. Maybe you can order some:)