Daz Loader + EasyBCD + Truecrypt

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HerbalAbuse, Aug 15, 2010.

1. HerbalAbuse

HerbalAbuse MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2010
    Hi I just want to ask something I'll try to make it short as possible-

I had Windows 7 installed and used Daz Loader to activate it, later I encrypted my whole system drive with Truecrypt (v7) and Windows was still activated.

I then wanted to partition my drive and make a 10GB partition for XP, so I decrypted the whole drive and Windows wasn't activated. I ran Daz Loader, uninstalled then reinstalled and it's activated again.

Created the 10GB partition, installed XP, used EasyBCD and got dual boot working with both Windows being activated- this is how it is now (working fine).

What I want to know is can I now encrypt my Windows 7 partition again? I'm not sure if I'll need to redo the Daz loader (not that it bothers me) or if the Truecrypt boot loader will mess with the dual boot, or mess with anything? If it's only loaded before Windows 7 then I guess it will be fine, and I just enter the password after I selected Windows 7 from the boot menu?

Sorry if the way I write this is confusing I just want to make sure everything's going to work fine before I encrypt it again.

Thanks for any help, and sorry that this is my first post

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    When using Truecrypt it adds its own boot manager so you must install the loader with the "preserve current boot code" option selected after Truecrypt has been installed.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HerbalAbuse

HerbalAbuse MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2010
    #3 HerbalAbuse, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks, ok I will select that.

I know this isn't a Truecrypt forum, but if I only want to encrypt the Windows 7 partition, do I select system drive (where currently running Windows is installed) and single boot? Or do I select the multiple operating system option?

I'm confused as the option to encrypt "only the system partition where windows is installed and running" surely that means only one OS can exist on it anyway?
    So if I select single boot will my XP partition be fine and windows 7 be encrypted?

I'm terrible at explaining things lol

Basically- do I select single boot or multi boot from Truecrypt to encrypt just the Windows 7 partition?

4. SumoX

SumoX MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I would like to know the answer to that too... As I plan to use Truecrypt later on (to encrypt my whole system)
    It can get a bit tricky with mutiple Os's and Boot managers...

5. HerbalAbuse

HerbalAbuse MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2010
    I sorted it- had XP partition and Windows 7 partition, with EasyBCD to make the dual boot loader.

Went into Truecrypt and chose encrypt system partition/drive (I only wanted to encrypt the whole Windows 7 partition, not the XP one).
    Chose encrypt currently running system partition only (rather than whole disk including all partitions option)
    Chose multi boot option
    Chose not to encrypt hosts protected area
    Chose "yes" for is this the boot drive option
    Chose no for the "is a non windows boot loader present" option

Create rescue disk then encrypt the drive (after the test thing it asks you which needs a reboot)

Once it's encrypted obviously you need to enter password at boot (before the boot loader OS select screen) and you can enter either OS.
    You only need to enter the password to get into the encrypted volume otherwise you can press escape and get to the boot loader to access unencrypted partition, if you choose the encrypted partition after pressing escape it comes up with an error.

After that I checked if Windows 7 was still activated and it was, but I uninstalled Daz loader and reinstalled with the "preserve current boot code" option like Daz said, just in case. It took 2 reboots to be activated for some reason, may be because my version is fully expired, but it all works 100% fine hope it helps you- sorry for long post but I thought I'd explain in detail as I was confused about it messing anything up myself.

Edit- btw I did originally try to encrypt the whole drive including all partitions, but it wouldn't let me, can't remember why but it's not possible as far as I know

6. sushil1576

sushil1576 MDL Senior Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Thanks,i am sure your instructions will help lots of people out there..it is really good to know about such tried and tested settings.

7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    So, with the "Perserve current boot code" you can install/uninstall DAZ loader or even modify it (change slic) without "killing" the TrueCrypt bootloader?

I have another question here. If I install DAZ loader THEN I encrypt the drive and, for any reason, I chnage DAZ loader after (changing slic, removing it to use KMS activation, etc.), will the TC rescue CD will be able to boot my compuer?

thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Bowcat

Bowcat MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2011
    I was just wondering that if I use TC's hidden OS option, do I use the loader for both or does TC copy it into the hidden OS. Also, I have to install win7 in IDE mode then switch to AHCI by tweaking my reg.,do I use the loader after the change, and do I use True Crypt before or after the tweaking starts? Thank you in advance, this is a very helpful site! Below are the instructions I have for changing the registry.

When installing Windows you sort of choose between IDE and AHCI (checks from BIOS and uses same settings).
    I would recommend to force IDE at the BIOS for Windows installation and once you've installed and its working then go to regedit on windows and change:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\msahci.
    Start -> Modify: 0.
    Reboot, change the Bios to AHCI and then it should boot up nice in AHCI mode