Daz loader...impact on Win 10

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by stephr1, Apr 24, 2015.

1. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    I doubt there are more people using a loader than there are legit Windows 7 OEM systems around. I mean, in what cases would you need the loader? For example, if you got your PC between 2009 and 2012 (in the Windows 7 timeframe), you likely won't need it. As far as I can tell, the loader seems to be only useful for older PCs that came with Vista or earlier (or without any OS), or for those with self-made desktops. But either way, there are still millions of people with legit OEM licenses - leave them out of the picture and let them pay for all the piracy? But you're right, only time will tell.

There's another aspect: What about people who did it "the elegant way" and use a BIOS mod instead of a loader? These non-genuine systems are undetectable.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Many originally legit and paid for users are using Loader for their upgraded machines. Not too many are still running 200x hardware anymore. Those that are, are in the Win10 section complaining things dont work lol..

But this is more to the point why I believe it will not be an eligible upgrade to free Win10. MS cannot see who is and who isn't legit in all cases. It will come down to their desire to either make money off win7 user base or just add to their Win10 user base. If the later, more power to the users.

3. stephr1

stephr1 MDL Junior Member

Jun 2, 2012
    I guess, ask and ye shall receive :) Just came across this posting over on digitaltrends (look up windows-license-expiration). 2nd paragraph is the more important....

"Even if you’re still a few back on the Windows 10 Tech Preview builds, no need to worry quite yet. Builds 9841, 9860, and 9879 have been issuing expiration warnings since April 2. If you ignored those warnings, your license would have expired on the 15th of April, and is already restarting every three hours. On April 30th, Windows will shut down for good, and you’ll have to re-install from a new ISO or Windows disk in order to continue using your computer. Newer builds don’t expire until October 1st, and will stop booting entirely two weeks later on October 15th.

They haven’t said it explicitly, but this is likely how the full release version of Windows 10 will operate as well. Users that upgrade from unlicensed versions of Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 will receive a copy of Windows 10 that is unlicensed. Because it’s unlicensed, the users won’t be able to use Windows Update, and eventually their installation will expire, leaving them with no choice but to re-install completely."

That may answer the question of what happens. Still the question what is considered licensed/unlicensed. There's a possibly ugly downside (for unlicensed users) in this: if one updates to Win 10 from an "unlicensed" Win OS, is there any way to go back (unupdate), or are you caught between a rock and a hard place?

M$ may just get their lb of flesh :(

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    is still to early.....daz mite release something that works for does who will not qualify for the upgrade or want to do a clean install with out paying for a license... time will tell.....but for what i seen so far in win10 i dont think going around the activation will be to difficult.

5. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    @stephr1, one way or another MS always gets their pound of flesh. But we here more often than not get a side of beef :D

After speaking with daz a few times, I find it highly unlikely he will continue the loader, another time will tell thing I guess

6. stephr1

stephr1 MDL Junior Member

Jun 2, 2012
    It's all about the attitude ;)

I've pretty much formulated my plan for upgrade: create a disk clone of my current system (do that as back up anyway) and then do the upgrade to see what happens (way too many unknowns for a new OS). Play with it for a while to check it out. If I like how it works, leave the clone as boot and make a new (updated) clone backup. If not, swap/restore and create new clone backup using "old" sys....and biz as usual.

I'll look forward to seeing what the very talented and creative folks come up with.

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    not a loader.....im talking about some kind of activator for win10

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    He is enjoying a long and well deserved vacation lol Never know though!

9. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    A long and well deserved vacation... LOL, in relation to the loader, that sounds like as if he was in jail :D

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    The lengths Daz has gone to be kept out of the reach of MS and hired guns, not to mention the support of everyone who cannot read a readme? Damn near Jail sentence! Maybe you are not aware of just how big the loader was to MS lol

11. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I would have to agree with EFA11. There is probably more people using the loader:
    Older machines > Yes
    Vista Machines > Yes Very few like it
    Win7 machines > Yes
    Win8 8x machines > Yes also very few like it

Plus the fact that all the OEM machines form XP to 8 comes with a ton of crapware. Best way to get rid of it is install a clean copy and use the loader.

12. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
  13. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    agree i never seen the loader activate a win 8 box...... vista, 7 only

14. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #34 sevenacids, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    The loader doesn't work on Windows 8.x, so the answer has to be no. Regarding Windows 7, if you purchased the PC with Windows 7 pre-installed, there's already a SLIC 2.1 table in BIOS so all you have to do is install the appropriate certificate after setup and you're fine. There's no need for a loader when you clean install Windows 7 on a machine that came with Windows 7.

Vista and older: Yes (if they didn't mod their BIOS)
    Self-made PCs/PCs without Windows: Yes
    Everything else: No

15. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Hey don't forget that even a notebook that shipped with Windows 7 with Slic 2.1 in the bios ALSO included a valid COA.
    What's to stop M$ taking the "ring home" approach to validate a genuine Windows 7 install for OEM Activated systems...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    This thread should simply be closed or moved to the OS which supports the Loader from Daz and that's Windows 7!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    I also think the COA key will be used to get a Win10 upgrade key - like they did when Win8 came out (I remember registering as Bill Gates with one and being sent a discount code (never used)... LOL)

... thus OEM activation is a moot point. - Those with faded stickers are gonna be SOL in that case...

18. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    There are many more user of daz loader than there are legit? I was not aware of this fact, could you please point me to the official stats.

The real note here is the 1 year free upgrade. I think you will not have the install disk for the OS and as such an upgrade for most is not a viable alternative. After a year, a GPU upgrade, you will not be able to install windows 7 and then upgrade. If you just love the appz from M$ you will need to buy the OS, is that what they hope for? They want you to become accustomed to the change. I love change just not spyware, BS appz or live accounts. Really this free upgrade is just for the timid that do not know how to install an OS and fear format C:. For the rest it is not the answer.

The loader, KMS tools (just as big or bigger as it does office also) etc. are not all the maintainers intellectual info and are collaborated efforts. The avatar that fronts it takes most the heat, this was most likely agreed on and accepted.

Regards

19. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I don't think that anyone here is actually thinking or saying the loader will work on Win10. The question here was if you were running Win7 and the loader will you be able to get the free upgrade! Just about every one knows the loader will not work on Win8 and above.

I never said that it works on Win8. I was just saying that people that bought computers with Win8 and did not like Win8 they obtained a copy of Win7 and and use the Daz loader to activate.
    Yes there are other ways to activate, BIOS mods, certificates etc. but most people out there don't know this or don't have enough knowledge to do such things. Not everyone is here at MDL. So what do you think would be the easiest way for them to activate. That's right..... Daz loader. In most case's click install, reboot, Done!!:D

20. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    I just wanted to clearify some of your points, like your statement you would need a loader for a clean install of Windows 7 on a Windows 7 OEM machine which is not true. I agree that BIOS mods are not for beginners, still when I look at the sheer amount of requests in certain forums for such BIOS in the past, I don't think it is so few people who have done it (how many people still use these PCs and intend to upgrade is another question, though). And installing a certificate is not much harder than using a loader, I assume there are tutorials out there and if it doesn't help, there's always the friend of a friend of a friend who knows how to do it :D

Again, like EFA said, time will tell. Right now everything is just speculation. Maybe we know more as soon as BUILD next week. But if I would have to make a bet, I'd say OEM licenses will work, GVLK/KMS solutions won't, simply because of the fact that the majority of the consumer user base has OEM licensed PCs.