Dead motherboard - how do I determine the problem?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Weasel, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Weasel

Weasel MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2008
    Hi,

I recently bought a used MSI KT880 from ebay (yes, I'm fully aware that this was a mistake), and what a surprise, the board was/is dead. It shows no signs of functioning, no POST beeps, not even the connected fans operate. Only a LED at the onboard LAN-port lights. I went trough all the usual tests like switching CPU, RAM, PSU, making sure all cables and switches were connected correct, checking the battery, looking for visible damages like leaking or bulbed capacitors, tried minimal configuration and so on. I even tried to force a BIOS-flash, but nothing worked out.
    Although I'm accepting the fact that that thing will never work again, I'm still interested in finding out what caused it's destruction. Does anyone have an idea what I can do additionally to determine the reason for the boards death?
    Thanks in advance

Weasel

2. larch

larch MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2007
    try to properly install the Video card and your Memory. :)

3. Weasel

Weasel MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2008
    Thanks for the reply, but I don't think that's the reason for the boards malfunction. The video card was definitely pluged in correctly and I already tried out all ram slots with different sticks. I also tried to power the board up without ram and a graphics card. Shouldn't the board give out some error code if there was a problem with either of these components?

4. oldfart

oldfart MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2008
    sorry m8

i had similar prob and found that the power supply was the prob unbeleivable but thats what happened to me
    hope this helps u but otherwise i think the board is due for replacement

5. trodas

trodas MDL Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Weasel - yep, unless it is entierly dead, the board SHOULD beep w/o GFX card or w/o RAM. If i does not, well, it is dead. Probably capacitor failure that take with it some mosfets or something like i?