Debian now defaults with systemd

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Skaendo, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #61 Skaendo, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    This is when I started getting errors.
    The second time, when I wasn't properly chroot'd, it compiled fine.
    I ran into errors the third time when I was (chroot), at the same point.

I don't use a "RTM" distro....
    Slackware64-current is a rolling 'pre-release' with KDE 5.2 (unofficial on Slackware).
    I didn't run stable on Debian either. Until I was forced to have systemd, then I installed 7.6 Wheezy, and had the same issues with systemd that I had running testing (8.0 Jessie).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Systemd is working fine for me (arch based distro's).

3. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #63 Skaendo, Jan 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    (OP)
    And I think that's great. I however would rather not have systemd.

@zoulou99
    I am trying again right now. I think that I was getting errors because the stage3 was being updated from 2015-01-28 to 2015-01-30, and some links couldn't be resolved.
    Seems to be compiling fine now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
  5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #65 Skaendo, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    (OP)
    I don't think that Linux needs to be "popular" like Windows. Let the brain dead point and clickers, fanboys and enthusiasts continue to use Windows, it sure seems like that is who MS is designing it for these days. I don't want my OS dumbed down for any reason, like Windows is. IMO, if you can't compile a kernel then you shouldn't be using Linux.

Point is, Linux is not Windows. (until systemd takes over, and that's when I'll move to *BSD)

As of right now I am completely finished with Windows. I tried to use 10TP, and to me the way that it is going is downhill. I installed 9926, used it for about 10 min and then wiped it out of my PC. Windows 7 was the last good Windows release, and as far as I'm concerned If I continue to use Windows 7 for HTPC like I do now, It will be a default install (updated by intergration) and never go near the internet, just like I have 1 PC set up now.

6. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    If you cant compile a kernel you should not use linux ? what bulls**t is that ? There are people like me who wants thinks easy and dont prever the command stuff crap. I am tired of windows my self and want a nice linux distro that runs great and runs smooth.

I tried alot debian/ubuntu based distro's and all have the freezing issue. Then i tried arch, did alot of research on it on how to install etc. So far i managed to get it working and it was more stable then every other linux distro i tried. Linux Mint cinnamon is nice for people who will come from windows, but those freezes are retarted. Yet the ubuntu community says and stated it as "fixed" back in 2010-2011. If it is fixed then why is it still present ? :g:

I want a stable os and i don't care if systemd will take over or not, then let developers create a virus scanner and use it. The way microsoft is going is the way i wont follow, so a linux distro will be replacing my windows soon.

7. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  8. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes i did, it's the only ubuntu based distro that does not freeze. Just what you said the looks is from OSX and your limited to things. I like freedom and elemantary does not have that.

9. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #69 Skaendo, Feb 1, 2015
    (OP)

The freezing is probably from kernel panics by using the generic kernel shipped with the OS fighting with systemd, or some flag is enabled in the kernel that is not an option in your hardware. This is only speculation, but prob a good guess. Try a distro without systemd like PCLinuxOS, Slackware, Salix, Slax and see if you get the same freezing. If that doesn't do the trick then I would suggest to compile your own kernel.

Compiling your own kernel makes a lot of difference, like customizes it to only the flags that run your hardware.

I would highly suggest that you try PCLinuxOS and see if you get freezes with that.
    I do believe that it runs as a liveOS so you wont have to do a full install to try it out, and it is a really nice distro 'out of the box'.
    I don't remember having to use any CLI when I tried it out.

10. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    Both of you are being radical.

I share Skaendo opinion, if you don't want to do some more advanced things like tuning your kernel, write your own scripts, you are missing one of the major reasons why people prefer linux.

I also understand Michel, some people doesn't want to mess with the inner parts of it, just install and run a simple to use and maintain OS.

The beauty of linux is that it can serve both, people can hack it to suit your needs, others can just install and run.

The sad part is sonner or later, people will realize that when you have a problem with linux, the easy way to fix it is resource to CLI, shell scripts, and/or kernel recompilation.

The hard way to fix problems in linux is to reinstall or switch distros, much like windows users do.

You can use linux without even touch CLI, but you hardly can fix it without CLI.

Linux is like a sailboat, if it broken in open ocean you can fix yourself and keep sailing.

The main complain of this tread is that systemd is taken away the option that people has to fix and modify the old linux init system, based on shell scripts and plain ASCII files.

When you will have a problem with systemd, it will much harder to fix it, because everything is running by compiled binaries.

Also systemd is extending its functions with a premise to fix problems that doesn't exist, creating new problems instead.

Systemd will end like a big engine, one flawed gear and everything will stop working.

Another big systemd issue is that IMHO shouldn't considered a finished product, it's constantly evolving, every week a new function is implemented.

For eventual desktop users it shouldn't be a problem, maybe an advantage, but for some of us that use linux in production, yes its a big problem.

I will not mention here all the disadvantages in replace the proven trustworthy old init system by systemd, being one of then is that you will need to relearn how to do the old things the systemd way.

For now, systemd can decrease the boot time, how useful it can be for 24/7 servers.

For workstarions, systemd will increase boot time over time as binary log files grows.

Since debian decide to adopt systemd, I stopped to update servers I take care of.

My plan is to migrate later to a systemd free system, considering funtoo for now.

Didn't decide yet which distro to replace on my laptop, Skaendo journey is being most helpful.

11. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Funtoo is proving to be a long and arduous task. I have been only playing with it in my spare time on a separate test laptop. Everything is built from source which is why it is taking so long. That and it's an old Core 2 Duo, so it's obviously going to take some time for things to compile compared to an i7.

It's day two (for this attempt) and I'm just getting into setting up X.

12. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
  13. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #73 Skaendo, Feb 1, 2015
    (OP)
    LOL! I'm getting there!

I don't have anything i7 laying around. My daily driver is another Core 2 Duo running a very stripped down Slackware-current/KDE 4.something. I would hate to track down a bunch of dependencies just to help a test project. I also have a Phenom X4 Desktop but it's running Windows 7 (HTPC), and the 750GB HDD is FULL!

*It's doing 'ok' time-wise. It only took 2+ hours just to compile the kernel! LOL! I'm not worried about it, I'm just letting it take its own time since I don't need it for anything.

**X is in, that was relatively painless (110 packages), now 409 packages for KDE............

14. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    I remember it took 2 days to install gentoo on my old computer.

Old/low power computers aren't the best candidates to source distros, compiling times may be a big annoyance.

Sometimes you are in a hurry, planning to shut down your computer, but can't because it needs one extra hour to compile firefox.

There is distcc slackware package, it's easy to configure, and 2 computers compiling in parallel is always better than one alone.

If you're planning to stick with funtoo, you should give distcc a chance.

15. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I looked at distcc, and it looks good. Made me think of a bunch of different ways to use/hack it to do different things ;). I'm just not worried about time for it to compile since it is a spare laptop that I test anything and everything on. Plus I don't really want to use resources from my daily driver that I use constantly, that and dependencies that I would have to possibly track down. My Slackware install is really stripped down. / is @ ~1.5GB & /usr is @ ~3.5GB, that includes X, KDE, LibreOffice, VLC, and a bunch of other smaller custom programs. My Slackware install image is only a 850MB iso, compared to 2.3GB full iso.

16. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #76 Michel, Feb 1, 2015
    Nope, the freezes are made by the drivers from nvidia in conflict with xorg. Ubuntu said on their repo it was fixed long time ago and yet many people have issues like me, even ati users.

Anyway thanks for your explanation about systemd revertex, i do understand a bit more of it and i do understand why many people are against it (like skaendo). But people like me who come from windows dont care about it, they just want a os that runs stable and work with it. So far Arch (or arch based) is the best option for me

17. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  18. zoulou99

zoulou99 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    #78 zoulou99, Feb 1, 2015
    you don't try gnome ~ 300 packages ? :D

if you have C2D:
    Code:
    # /etc/portage/make.conf

CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    MAKEOPTS="-j3"

19. zoulou99

zoulou99 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    especially compiling Qtwebkit & Chromium on my old hp6820s o_O

20. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #80 Skaendo, Feb 1, 2015
    (OP)
    I've never been a big fan of Gnome. And I have my flags and opts set just like that!
    Like I said, I'm not worried about how long it takes. That laptop would just be sitting there doing nothing if I wasn't trying out Funtoo right now!
    It's going good though. I wasn't expecting it to be done in 20 min. I understand that it takes time to compile, that just makes things all the better in the end.