Delete

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kofuji, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Kofuji

Kofuji Guest

#1 Kofuji, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2015
    Deletedelete

2. atreyu

atreyu MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2009
    #2 atreyu, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Well, better lat than never (Ouch, that guy sure likes to hear himself :)

You have 3 options to run osx inside vbox: the "easy" way, the "vanilla" way and the "hackintosh" way (like that Hazard version).

But before you go with vbox, consider using vmware. You can install guest additions in vmware, that improves the experience with any virtualization; there are no guest additions for osx in vbox. If you need or want to use vbox, try the "easy" way first. From my experience the best results are installing Mavericks (osx 10.9) the "vanilla" way. I have draw issues with Yosemite (any way) but your results may vary.

The easy way is really easy:
    - download a pre-installed vmware disk image
    - create a osx virtual machine in vbox with default settings (keep EFI!), using downloaded disk
    - quit vbox, do some voodoo, restart vbox and play :)

The voodoo thing: osx checks if it's running in mac hardware, and you have to pass a key to pretend so:
    Code:
    <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/SmcDeviceKey" value="ourhardworkbythesewordsguardedpleasedontsteal(c)AppleComputerInc"/>
    However, this may not work in your case (I think that doesn't work with amd cpus) and screen size is limited to 6 pre-defined values, 0 to 5
    Code:
    <ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal2/EfiGopMode" value="4"/>

The vanilla way is identical to the easy way, you "just" have to find or build a boot image to install the os. The boot image is the same used by a real mac, but the format must be UDTO instead of UDZO like, probably, was your .dmg

edit: vbox has dmg support since v4.00

As you have seen, the hackintosh way is prone to errors and poor results. Most of the time hackintosh media is intended to install os x in pc hardware, and has a bunch of "kext" to do so. You may have to tweek these additions to match your hw or vm, in a trial and error method. But at the end of the day, this may be your only solution.

About that boot plist: there are two boot.plist that can be missing, in the install media or in the startup disk. But if you don't know what it is, your best choice is to use other install media. Or try the easy way.

3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #3 sebus, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Good to see you back here!

Would the conversion be:

Code:
    hdiutil convert existing.dmg -format UDTO -o converted.dmg

4. atreyu

atreyu MDL Junior Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Hi, Sebus, let me greet you before this is deleted, nice to "read" you too :)

Yeah, that cmd will convert a compressed .dmg to a "byte copy" .cdr disk image. But I was wrong.

Vbox has .dmg support since 2010. And I've been using it, silly me... so that is not a problem.