Dell bios recovery procedure (confirmed)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by danwalmsley, May 4, 2010.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  2. Overmaxx

Overmaxx MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2011
    i make hdr file, but can enter to recovery mod. notebook m6600. anyhelp?

3. JWMaloney

JWMaloney MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2013
    Confirmed working with Studio 1535 using 1535_A06.HDR.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    While the procedure worked fine while Vostro 3560 was operational, once I attempted to flash it with (obviously) buggered mod (by myself!), power never come back again after that, so the procedure simply can not be performed.

So after all it is possible to kill Insyde BIO laptop...

5. jasper123

jasper123 MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2013
    thanks very much

6. catgirl

catgirl MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2014
    M6600 is an E2 Dell platform, Per Dell Tier3 Support;

"Confirmation from our Tier 3 that the E2 systems (which include the m6500) do not support the Bios crisis recovery mode due to changes made for newer UEFI."

In other words, even though you can enter CRM, the IRQ hook to the routine has no return path, the hook has been re-purposed for the UEFI return path.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. fjfc

fjfc MDL Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I confirm this work on Dell XPS14 L421X, Unplug power cord, put usb stick, hold END (right arrow) key, Plug back power cord and release end(right arrow) key... Although I bricked my notebook by flashing a wrong BIN, It entered recovery mode...

Recovery file name is L421X.bin

8. nruri

nruri MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    I tried this on my L421X - It worked but I guess the BIOS loading or something failed... Now my system is stuck with a black screen - fan on full blast and was beeping like crazy. There seems to be no way of turning it off....
    I guess i'm stuck until the battery drains itself...

USB was in the first port - closes to me - filename L421X.bin
    was going well I though as the USB light was flashing and I waited... then the beeping started..

Anyone know how I might be able to power it off? The battery isn't removable unless I open it up lol

9. fjfc

fjfc MDL Member

Oct 13, 2012
    You need to wait until the beeping stops
    beeping = flashing
    give it some time

10. nruri

nruri MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    hi thanks again fjfc,

been about an hour - fans still full speed and nothing.

11. fjfc

fjfc MDL Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Has the beeping already stoped?
    The computer was supposed to restart itself...
    If it doenst and you get no more beeps or usb blinks you'll have either to remove battery(Yeah I know it is intern but just need to open it and unplug/plug it)
    If you have no ways on doing that I think you'll need to wait until battery runs out

Keep me updated

12. nruri

nruri MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    Yup - just waiting for the battery to run out since I don't have access to any tools at the moment.

I'll try again after the battery dies.

Can I use a BIN from the DELL BIOS update package to flash a stock BIOS?

Cheers

13. fjfc

fjfc MDL Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Not rebooting doenst mean it doenst get flashed, you told you hear beeps so it is most likely you have flashed... we just don't know the result yet...
    tell me the result when you manage to reboot it.

regards

14. nruri

nruri MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2010
    forgot to update here.
    So the laptop bricked - doesn't power on anymore and doesn't take a charge from the power supply.

cheers

15. IceIceBird

IceIceBird MDL Novice

May 3, 2010
    Does this method only work on laptops or does it work on dell desktops aswell`?

16. environment0307

environment0307 MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2014
    I have tried to upgrade my Dell XT2's bios from A13 to A15 version; however, it was failure. When I turn it on, there was no beep signal, the screen is in black, the fan is still running. After that, the power on button is off and backlight in keyboard turn on automatically. Could you give me some suggestions to solve my computer?

17. james071

james071 MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2014
    Hello,

I bought Dell precision m4500 from craigslist and apparently the bios supervisor password is set and the laptop bios is locked.

i'm trying to update the bios from A05 to the latest.

i made some research and found some websites offering the backdoor password for free. i tired entering my service tag and the passwords generated didn't work.

Is there a workaround to update the bios without the use of password? or is there a way to remove the password?

i found a utility to dump the bios. is there a way to figure the bios password from the dump?

18. valleygreen

valleygreen MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2014
    bios crash

1.)
    I have a dell inspiron 531. I went to the dell product and used my service code to get all updated drivers. I downloaded and installed the one they said to use. I first got a " flash error" Then I got a " shutting down". Then nothing. So thyis looked like the solution. But... see my problem below.

Firstly download from the DELLs website the latest version of your bios for me this was 1400_A09.exe, then copy it to C:\

2.) Open a Windows (MSDOS) command prompt, and type (replacing the name of my bios
    file with yours)
    1400_a09.exe -writehdrfile

Now you will find the file “1400_a09.hdr” @ C:\ on your PC.

Here is mine. That I entered into the command prompt… I ran as administrator
    I531_1013.exe –writehdrfile
    Pressing enter I got “I531_1013.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program

19. d3n7s

d3n7s MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2014
    Hi everybody very grateful to you all.
    I have a bricked Dell Inspiron 14z-5423 and would like to request any assistance you can gave me, i had done all the steps referred in the beginning about:

1. I have downloaded the bios file from Dell official Site (i had two the basic bios 5423A00.EXE and the latest 5423A13.EXE)
    2. I have extracted the .hdr file from both files using the /writehdrfile command and already have 5423a00.hdr and 5423a13.hdr extracted files.

Now, I could not locate any tool that allow me to know the correct file name in order to rename this files that i already have. First, i though that after i had the .hdr file i could format a 512mb memory flash as FAT and copy the file and do all the remaining steps of the process, but i was wrong couse the lap doesnt start and the sreen remain black, so obviously the flash process dint succeed. So, i request any help you can provide me, starting by what is the correct name for the .hdr that i extract from a xxxx.exe file of the bios, couse i think that's the main issue