DELL - COA Key

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by sanjose, Jul 28, 2013.

1. sanjose

sanjose MDL Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Hello, I've bought a DELL installed Windows XP SP2 for several years. Now my motherboard is dead, I chage a new motherboard. My question is : Can I use DELL COA key to activate with new motherboard ? If yes, Which Windows edition must I install Windows XP VL MSDN or Windows XP Retail MSDN ? Thanks for your advice and help. Have a great day.

2. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    if the replacement mainboard is dell, it should be no problem. Aftermarket mainboard will need the slp string added to the bios to make it genuine with the OEMBIOs changer. Really doesnt matter which version is installed, with sp3, you can install without serial. I can guarantee the install will not accept the COA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. sanjose

sanjose MDL Member

Jan 23, 2012
    @mohamedkamel ,911medic, urie . Thanks so much for all your reply and advice. I replaced a new motherboard Not DELL. What I confuse is . Can I use DELL COA Key as Product Key to enter as installing time ? if so what edition should I use Retail or VL to accept this DELL COA key ? Thank again.

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    You should ditch the COA key. Just add SLP string in bios & use proper OEMBIOS set with MS generic OEM:SLP key.

7. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #7 redroad, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    neither.. u neeed OEM to use the key.. retail doesnt take the key under laptop. (ive used dell cd for HP with key under it)

but its easier to use SLP OEMBIOS changer method.

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I think sanjose missed what I mentioned in post 4

10. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    The Windows XP OEM EULA does not tie the licence to the motherboard. The idea of the "computer" being represented by the motherboard was introduced with later versions of the EULA. You are therefore legally allowed to replace the motherboard with any other motherboard, and still be allowed to use your Windows XP OEM licence with the computer.

The COA sticker represents your legal entitlement to one licence of Windows XP OEM on that one computer. The sticker should say whether it is for the Home or Professional edition.

The legal solution is to reinstall with an appropriate Windows XP OEM copy, either Home or Professional, matching the sticker. Note that OEM is not the same as Retail or VL. During installation, enter the key on the sticker. For activation, you will probably have to phone Microsoft. They must activate it for you, as you are legally entitled to it, even with a replaced motherboard. Don't let a representative tell you otherwise on the phone.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  12. sanjose

sanjose MDL Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Hi All, Thank you for all your helpful info and advice. I found out the way how to ..... I use MSDN Retail CD and create 2 files SETUPP.INI & WINNT.SIF , then Add them to I368. It works ... and activates online perfectly. Have a great day !