Dell Inspiron 17-5755 Black Screen Needing Advice

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tgoodch1, Jan 26, 2018.

1. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Well, after swapping the memory sticks in and out, nothing happens.Just a solid white light on the front left edge. No more beeps. Only beeps when memories out. No idea, what to do next. I remember reading somewhere that the solid white light meant something on Dell laptops, I'm gonna search that for a minute. Anybody know about the different light codes on dell laptops?

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If you connect it to a monitor or TV with a HDMI cable and it still doesn't work then the issue is probably with the motherboard.

A GPU reball or a reflow would probably fail after a few weeks or months, so you'd be better off using your warranty. If you can't then you'd need to purchase a warranty extension or a new motherboard.

I wouldn't recommend it, but search YouTube for something like "laptop reflow" or "motherboard oven" for free options.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    #23 pcnavarra, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Boot with Windows Media from a usb Thumb Drive and install the appropriate Graphics driver such as AMD-Catalyst-Omega-14.12-Win8.1-64bit for You´re R5 integrated GPU.

Or if you made a backup of you´re OS restore it.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #24 Joe C, Jan 29, 2018
    Are you getting a POST (Power On Self Test) screen? That's the screen with the manufacture's logo or a screen with a bunch of white writing before windows tries to boot
    If you are, they you can try going into safemode to uninstall/re-install your video driver.
    Dell has a self diagnostics you can use if you can get to the Dell splash screen, tap the F12 key

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #25 Joe C, Jan 29, 2018
  6. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Hey Joe C, no post at all other than a feint flash that's not noticeable unless its dark and a flashlight pointed at the screen.

I've tried most of the test methods, but wouldn't doubt if I was doing them wrong. I get a little turned around on when to try what.

I've still got the hard-drive and dvd unhooked.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Try using an external monitor to see if you can see a post screen when it first starts, if you can't get to the post screen, you may need a new board

8. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Already tried all that. Just feel like its gonna be something incredibly devestating like a world ending apocolyptic virus that causes the rise of the machines........Or something really simple that I'm overlooking. It's just strange that I can remember the almost exact things that were going on and thinking this isn't right. Like for example I had just downloaded that snappy driver or whatever program I saw someone mention. Then it said it couldn't find the Raedon video driver or something like that, so I thought well let me try this Iobit driver program, and it couldn't find it, Then my computer started saying the charger wasn't compatible yet I thought this is the original charger from dell, then ''''''''''''poof''''''''''''''' no more screen and I was all alone in a cold dark world with no laptop and no will to go on liv............but no really that's kinda what I remember happening.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    well if your battery is dead and your charger isn't working, it won't boot from that....

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    when charger says fake.. its the mainboard power driver chip.. or try a different power supply but mobo issues VERY likely.

11. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    @OP

I am so sorry to hear about the issue with your Dell system. It is one of the computer systems I usually don't admire for the reason there are too many complications when it starts failing. If you can flash the BIOS at this stage I would advise you do that first because this is one of the symptoms of Dell display issues before considering the Video Graphics Adapter going faulty.

Nevertheless, I would like you to post images of your openned mobo and the screen when in the ''blank'' state. This is would help to narrow down what is really the major issue and the next steps to take - after seeing many wonderful solutions provided without remedying the problem.

I don't want to conclude at this point that it is a mobo issue while it might likely seem so.

12. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Hey all, I've been trying everything up to this point. Just not sure where to go from here other than the graveyard with it. First things first though, @Joe C @LatinMcG I've tried another power supply with no results. @Hadron-Curious would you be willing to pm me and talk some more about what you'd like to see or expect I should post pics of?

Thanks everyone for all the advice so far and even if there's no resolution to be found, I'm truly grateful for the kindness shown on this forum.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  14. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Thanks @Joe C Can't really afford anything right now, but will probably have to go that route at some point.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone that might be reading this thread have experience selling computers, or motherboards ect. online? I've got tons of things I need to get rid of that could possibly pay for a new mothorboard.....I know about ebay obviously, just don't think I could come out better if there was another site or something, because of the fees ebay is known for.

I don't know, just throwing stuff against the wall and see if anything sticks.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Places like Craigslist and Letgo would be local for you, and they are free

16. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It is like wasting your time taking pictures. I would like you to consider Joe C's option by getting a mobo. Clearly, it is a mobo graphical issue.

17. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the advice in the thread. I've decided that I'm going to either get a new mobo, or just try and sell some things and get a new laptop. I don't so much mind wasting my time, for anything I try and advice I get is a learning experience to me, but I don't like thinking that I'm possibly wasting the boards time and members time that is best spent elsewhere.

I'd like to give back to the board somehow/someway, but as anyone in this thread can see, I'm not up to the level of you guys, but I'm trying to think of something I can do. If any experienced member or mod that might happen to be reading this thread, and would be willing to shoot me a private message, I'd like to ask about something in particular and get your thoughts about something.

With that, I'll consider this issue closed and get back to reading up on things I can only wish to understand. :):Albert::ninja_hide:

18. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I will accept Beer, if you really want to show your appreciation

19. tgoodch1

tgoodch1 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2017
    My friend that’s one thing I probably know way to much about

Shoot me a message