Dell Inspiron 3847 problem (Solved)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by sunstrip, Oct 6, 2015.

1. sunstrip

sunstrip MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2011
    #1 sunstrip, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    OK guys...I got a good one for you...I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 3847...64 bit and running Win 7 Ultimate...have the latest BIOS and all the latest drivers and it's running a Intel i3 4160 processor...also using everything onboard as far as peripherals (no add on boards).

Now...the puter runs great...while running if you re-boot it re-boots just fine...BUT...if I turn the puter off...and then turn it back on...for some reason it takes close to a minute for it to page(recognize) the monitor/keyboard and mouse...(running the same peripherals on another puter all 3 start no prob so I know it's not the monitor/keyboard or mouse.)

Called Dell support to no avail :mad: ...it's hard to get support from somebody that's reading cookie cutter info from a book and probably has a hard time setting the time on her clock let alone give puter support !!!! :eek::eek::eek:

You guys have any ideas on this.....I have never run into something like this ?????? o_O

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. sunstrip

sunstrip MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2011
    Well guys I figured out what the problem was...I had an external USB drive plugged in so I could do a scheduled weekly backup...somehow this was confusing the BIOS....so all's well...sorry for wasting your time...but maybe this might help someone else out n the future...who knows...thanks guys

3. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    You have to watch what's in the USB ports if you have weird system problems. I was trying to re-install Windows 7 on a Dell laptop and got a BSOD twice. Then I noticed a small Microsoft wireless mouse dongle in one of the USB ports. Removed it and the Windows 7 install went smoothly. No more BSOD's since. Who would have thought a Microsoft mouse dongle would cause a BSOD, but it did.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    disable boot from usb or set hd first boot device not usb in bios ?

5. sunstrip

sunstrip MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2011
    No good bro...tried that... still had the same prob...no biggie though...I just installed a spare HD in the case and now all's good.

6. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #6 Muerto, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

7. sunstrip

sunstrip MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2011
    Yes...I updated it to A08 when I bought it last week...have you heard of any prob's with this version ?