Dell Inspiron 530 won't flash same version

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Porkrinds, Aug 27, 2009.

1. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ StopExxon, sorry i have no idea why that is happening i have flashed same version of my bios a few times from dos no problems, obviously error in first bios mod or the way it was flashed.
    I was the first on here to flash my 530 with slic 2.1 but i did use the switches a lot of people have been flashing without them and flashing whole area of bios this is wrong. Found this on forum.

If that goes ok then try the bios mod i uploaded.

2. StopExxon

StopExxon MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    thx urie - I'll mess with it when I get home from work and post back later

3. StopExxon

StopExxon MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    urie your the best! All good - I ended up clearing out my flash drive, making a new boot disk, using your version of awdflash - flashing old 1015 version bios - worked no problem in awdflash. Booted everything up, shut back down. Re-booted from usb stick, ran your awdflash again, typed in your bin file that was included 1018 - NO ERRORS this time with awdflash - flashed no problem - reset factory defaults, shut off floppy - booted up no problems - also ran the offical dell bios update for the hell of it, came up no trouble says current version 1.0.18. Obviously I don't need to flash again, but it reads the version correctly and doesn't lock up like last time.

My advice to people reading this, stay away from porkinds method - It did indeed work but when trying to run an offical bios update it would just lock up. My computer acted funky for a while after flashing using that method so not sure if everything went correctly which is why I wanted to reflash.

So for the people trying to flash with the same version or even people that haven't updated yet. Use whitehats link to make yourself a boot usb stick, then use urie's version of awdflash as well as his bin (1.0.18 w/ slic 2.1)

I verified slic2.1 and it's there so will get around 2 windows 7 here pretty quick.

Thx again urie for all your help, would have been lost otherwise.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ StopExxon, glad to be of help and you got it sorted out:)
    P.S. that is AWDFlash for foxconn motherboards which the 530 has lot of peeps are using wrong version.

5. StopExxon

StopExxon MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    yea I'm def gonna save all those files - I had another version of AWDflash I copied over by mistake at first (I downloaded it from somewhere else) and it didn't work at all. So I ended up starting fresh with re-doing the boot disk. By the way got 7 up and running and activated no problems. Thanks again

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #27 urie, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  7. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
    #28 colinzim, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2010
    Thank You all,especially Urie! I was so nervous to attempt this modded bios thing. I read this thread carefully and everything went perfect. I checked with the SLC toolkit v3.2 & it shows slic 2.1

Thanks Again

9. Leolo

Leolo MDL Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Urie's warnings about using the correct flash tool are true. I have just suffered them myself a few minutes ago.

I flashed a modded bios of Dell Inspiron 530 using Award Winflash 1.94 from Zotac's website. The flash apparently went well, but my integrated Ethernet card was useless after rebooting the computer. The MAC address was FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.

Luckily, I found a very useful post here in this forum. I cannot post the link because of forum rules, but you can find it searching for "dell awdflash mac address" (without quotes) using Google, it's the very first result.

Which had a solution to my problem thanks to a nice confidential Intel EEPROM tool.

The activation has completed correctly and passes all the Microsoft genuine tests.

Do you know if I should look for any other problem besides the MAC address problem?

Kind regards.

10. Bidder

Bidder MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2013
    Great post from a long time ago

The quote above is from post #5 on this thread. The download link is still alive after all this time.
    I had a couple old 530's around and wanted to install an existing ghost image of W7. This flash worked beautifully with absolutely no trouble at all. W7 authenticated without a hitch.

Thanks for this great post from 4 years ago :):):)

11. tech147

tech147 MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2014
    #32 tech147, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    need help with updating the bios for dell 530 g33m02

Hi StopExxon, I also want to revert bios to 1.0.15 and then update it to 1.0.18, but I am stuck on awdflash process. Could you please explain step by step on how you successfully used the awdflash program. I am not sure what I should do after I run this cmd "AFU877 713D1P51.BIN BACKUP.BIN". When the program lunches do I need to change the file name to program 713D1P51.BIN ? or should not be altered. Please kindly explain the process so I don't mess up.

The desktop model is dell inspiron 530 with motherboard g33m02. Thank you