Dell Latitude D610 won't boot anymore

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by matt167, Feb 6, 2014.

1. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I put this laptop togther for something to sell months ago but never did. Then my Dell D520 took a hard fall and busted it up good, so I took this laptop, updated the bios with SLIC 2.1 and made it my own.. Went to use it yesterday to scan my truck ( laptop is really only kept around for OBDII scanning ). The screen went black and it shut down. Now upon turning on, one of the lock key lights flashes a few times and it turns off. it does not post anything.. IIRC, Dell had some issues with mobo's when this was made and it likely needs a mobo right? If so, I'm just going to get another used D520 cause this D610 isn't worth it. Practically brand new tho

2. TheStar

TheStar MDL Novice

Feb 21, 2010
    Try removing both RAM sticks. Then put 1 back in and retest. If that fails, try the other one. If they both work, put them both back in and retest.

3. hanni.mannimeter

hanni.mannimeter MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2013
    1. Clean the RAM and RAM Slot. If RAM is dirty, it doesnot have good contact, and laptop cannot boot
    2. If step 1 fails, try to cool the GPU chip by replacing new glue.
    3. If it still fails, now you need to do check power supplies on the mainboard:
    - V_in system: 19V
    - Main power: 3V and 5V
    - Sub powers: CPU core, RAM voltage, Chipset voltages
    4. After checking power supplies on the mainboard, you can know what the problem is.
    5. maybe put the CPU in another Mainboard.

4. 38special

38special MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2012
    Both of those answers are accurate. I've sold hundreds of D610 laptops....the motherboards rarely die (though it's not impossible. It's much more likely that it's a RAM issue.

By the way, it has 1 RAM stick under the laptop and one under the keyboard, in case you were unaware. You need to re-seat both of them.

Short of that, that era laptop had a lot of video chip overheating issues with ATI graphics. What video chipset does it have?