Dell Latitude E6500 thinks it's running on battery

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by lsitynfi, Oct 15, 2013.

1. lsitynfi

lsitynfi MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2013
    The other day I turned on my computer (after it had been off for about a week) and it would not boot up--I received a "critical low battery" error. The thing is, there was no battery in the machine. I popped in a long-expired battery to see what would happen and the computer would not even turn on.

I have ruled out the A/C adapter--I have another laptop of the same model which boots up just fine with either adapter, but this one will not boot with either.

I finally got the machine to boot up by popping in the battery at a strategic moment just before the error appears. It works fine as long as I leave it running, cbatterie.com, but Windows thinks that it is running from the battery ("Current Power Source: Batteries - Total Battery Power Remaining: Unknown") and the computer dies instantly if I remove the battery.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the battery in Device Manager to no avail. Is there anything else I can do, or do I need to make the backup laptop my primary?

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    mainboard issue. a mossfet or an IC chip.
    needs a circuit tech to repair it, i know one but hes semi retired .. tblaptops

or replace mainboard.