Dell Optiplex 380 LGA771 to 775 patched bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ls3some, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ls3some

ls3some MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2019
    Hello
    I have an Dell Optiplex 380 (Dell motherboard with Phoenix Bios). Have a modded Xeon E5450 (SLANQ) CPU (CPUID 1067h), this has the older C0 stepping. Tried running Stock Dell Bios version a07 as well as older A04 but the fan runs out at max speed and I get the unsupported processor message on startup. Does anyone here have a modded Dell Bios laying around that supports this fairly common swap? I tried ordering the newer SLMBB version of this chip with E0 stepping but alas they shipped me the older version ... This was supposed to be an easy project, you know how that goes.
    Appreciate any and all help

2. jonathanscottjames

jonathanscottjames MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2022
    #3 jonathanscottjames, Dec 7, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    that sounds very simple.
    you need some heat sync grace.. they usually include a package with the CPU.. yet you can use generic zinc oxide from any pharmacy for 2$.. or buy it from the store for 20$ or get it off eBay for 2 dollars.. but i can tell you it makes no difference if it is pure silver or pure petroleum jelly with 20% zinc oxide and silicone. ... but you do need it quick!!.. I'm trying to put a 771 to 775 converted quad core in my dell 380 too.. but though it came up without a hitch and is running cool. it is only half the speed of the core 2 duo that i tried to upgrade.. i had your same problem with a i9. i discovered all heat sync's are deliberately milled with a cupped face. i don't know why.. probably a scam just to sell more heat sync grease i guess. but it won''t work without the grease..