Dell Optiplex 755 BIOS update issue and need some help please... :)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by v_V_v, Jun 1, 2013.

1. v_V_v

v_V_v MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2013
    #1 v_V_v, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
    Hi all, I've noticed an issue when updating the BIOS from A20 to A22 and could use some help. I bought identical tower, motherboard and parts to build new tower with more hard drive space, more RAM, faster processor... But when updating the BIOS to A22 .. it loads Dell splash screen, then the Intel Boot Agent which takes forever it seems, then finally the Windows 7 Home Premium splash page. On BIOS version A20, it loads Dell splash page and pretty much loads Windows 7 Home Premium splash page instantly after Dell splash page (for faster booting).

Also, with version A22, if I change settings in BIOS to boot with NIC ON only, without NIC ON w/PXE..the Intel Boot Agent doesn't appear after Dell splash page, but gives blinking black screen with cursor top left and seems to do this for what seems forever.. then finally loads the Windows 7 home premium splash page. I guess what I'd like is to be able to get A22 version of BIOS .. without the boot agent / black blinking screen, so it just loads right to Windows 7 Home Premium splash page after the Dell splash page.

Also, maybe some how tweak it to be able to control the Intel Boot Agent settings as well. The black blinking page with cursor is also annoying, not sure how to get rid of it. Thought maybe some BIOS editing experts here could tweak / edit the BIOS to bypass the boot agent / black blinking screen ..?

Dell splash > (straight to) > Windows 7 home premium splash page/loading Win 7. I brought this up at Dell support forums as well. (en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3515/t/19510278.aspx) Basically wasted days/hours trying to find Intel Boot Agent tips and tricks to remove that, then trying to figure out how I got black screen with blinking cursor.. Dismounted hardware and remounted things to troubleshoot it too.. To find out it's the A22 BIOS update that's doing it. >_<. Any help is appreciated. :)

Edit: Shoot, maybe this should have been posted in the Mods request forums and not here..? Maybe staff could move it then lol. Sorry about that.

2. v_V_v

v_V_v MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2013
    No one replied lol.. It's okay, I found the "fixes" for it so far.. (wikispaces.psu.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=62423617)

Disable Intel ME State Control in MBEX (ctrl + p) at Dell splash screen, Go to MEbx settings by rebooting and pressing ctrl-P immediately when the Dell logo appears. Enter the default ME password admin (presuming you have never changed it). You must now change the ME password. Really. The new password must have a number, a symbol, and uppercase and lowercase letters, and must be 8 characters. For example Chris;1; works, but don't use that, it's mine. Press enter to select "Intel(R) ME Configuration". You get the warning screen below. Type "Y" for yes. Press enter to select "Intel(R) ME State Control", and then press enter to select "[ ] Disabled". Press ESC to exit and reboot.

Also, speed up the Booting by going to Windows 7 > right click "my computer" > Advanced System Settings > Start up and Recovery > Settings > uncheck box for both: "Time to display list of Operating systems" and "Time to display recovery options when needed". Click "Ok". Then go to "Remote" tab, and uncheck box for "Allow remote assistance connectoins to this computer". Click "Ok".

Under normal BIOS settings, changed the Power Management options then “Suspend Mode”, then press Enter.Change the Suspend Mode setting from S3 (default) to S1

If I remember other settings I did, I'll update this post which could possibly help others in future. But now, after updating to A22 for the BIOS.. it goes right from Dell Splash page to Windows 7 splash page.. Yay.