Dell Studio 1737 BIOS Recovery

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ambivert, Dec 17, 2009.

1. llyx

llyx MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    #21 llyx, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. sasomilosevski

sasomilosevski MDL Novice

May 27, 2010
    thank you again for the tip :)
    i've done that, renamed the bios1.wph into bios.wph, made bootable usb, inserted into the laptop, it flashed for about 30 sec., led started blinking red and white but then nothing happend
    i left it running about 20 min. but it did'nt restart
    does it mean that it's something wrong with the bios.wph file? should i try to extract the previos version wich i had in the first place?
    also i tried to use winphlash.exe file wich also gets extracted with R267045.exe/writeromfile, but it makes the usb drive flash all the time and also nothing more happend :(

3. llyx

llyx MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2009
    Winphlash.exe 1.7.0.34 , Phlash16 Utility Version 1.6.9.5 , so ..... try to use Phlash16 Utility Version 1.7.x.x

4. ambivert

ambivert MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2009
    1. Double check the bios image file is appropriate for your system
    2. There are different versions of phlash.exe file available online, Not all of them may work for recovery for your model.
    Try recovery flashing with different versions of phlash.exe. Actually this is the only way that worked for me on my Dell 1737.

5. Gormander

Gormander MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2011
    All,

I have a Dell Vostro 1720 and I read through the thread and followed the instructions but I am for some reason and my laptop does not seem to be behaving the same as others when they remove the battery, press and hold the End key and plug in the AC adapter. Others are saying that the laptop turns on automatically without pressing the power button but my laptop does not seem to do that. I waited (while holding down the End Key) for more than 45 seconds and nothing. Does the Vostro 1720 have another method that is not outlined in any of these posts?

Please help. I have a brick laptop :-(

Thanks!

6. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    try releasing the end button at different intervals, ie, does the battery light show red or flash or exhibit some other behavior (other than normal). try releasing the end key while that light is on, or just try a few different intervals such as a split second after plugging in adaptor, 1 sec after, 2 secs after.. and so on. The Inspiron 6400 the battery light (if I remember correctly) shows red for about a second. as long as you release the end key during that period and the other requirements are met the laptop will enter recovery mode..

7. Gormander

Gormander MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2011
    Hey Shakeyplace,

No LEDs at all turn on. Computer does not do anything. I do not even hear the hard drive turn on at all. :-(

8. Unfurth

Unfurth MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2011
    Hello there,

I've been reading everything I can about fixing a "bricked" dell. I have a Studio 1745 which froze up while updating the BIOS. I am trying to get my hands on a computer with windows xp so I can try to use the wincris.exe program to make myself a boot USB drive. I have already obtained the BIOS.ROM from the latest bios update on the Dell website. If anyone has any tips for me I'd greatly appreciate the help. One note, when I power on the computer, in addition to an unpowered screen, I also get a beep code, I think its one long beep followed by 2 short beeps. If this means anything significant I'd appreciate the heads up.

9. memo_nn

memo_nn MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2012
    Hi everyone

I have bricked dell studio 1737. While updating bios it freeze and now I'm stuck. I tried method creating the recovery USB drive with crisis recovery, and after i hold the end key, turn in the power cable (while battery out) and then released the end key. After this the led light is orange, not blinking. Can anyone help, I have the 3 files on USB drive (MINIDOS.SYS, PHLASH16.EXE, BIOS.WHD) after I start wincris.exe and nothing hapening on laptop.

Thanks everyone for your help

10. dotsad

dotsad MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2010
    I have 1537 as well. I just cant get it to read usb and write new bios.

I followed all of the steps from this post but still no luck? Which usb port did you use? Default PHLAH16.EXE that came with WINCRIS?

Can you help me with details?

Thank you.

11. cd8dc

cd8dc MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2013
    Bricked Dell Studio 1745 - END button doesnt work

Spent the whole day trying to find out how to recover a failed BIOS upgrade for a Dell Studio 1745.

I found the steps to do it but I don't seem to get the laptop to read the USB stick.

I took the battery out, held the END key and plugged the AC, nothing happens. Tried different scenarios, held END for 10s then plugged AC, held END for just 1 sec then plugged AC, held END and plugged AC and held for different x amount of seconds. Nothing I do seems to kickstart this laptop.

I really need this laptop but as it stands it's 1 step away from the bin

CAN ANYONE HEELP PLS

12. cd8dc

cd8dc MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2013
    Solved, somehow it started

13. justAnotherUser2

justAnotherUser2 MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2010
    Hi ambivert,
    Have you by any chance still got a copy of the files you used here //forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/14085-Dell-Studio-1737-BIOS-Recovery post 9.
    Could you re-upload them or forward them to me. Pls pm if you can help.

Mike

14. justAnotherUser2

Mar 7, 2010
    Hi Russtavo,

Have you by any chance got the files you downloaded for bios recovery?
    Ambivert's have been removed frommediafire and 4shared. Can't seem to get correct files anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

15. justAnotherUser2

Mar 7, 2010
    Hi dotsad,

Have you by any chance got the files you downloaded for bios recovery?
    Ambivert's have been removed frommediafire and 4shared. Can't seem to get correct files anywhere.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

16. justAnotherUser2

Mar 7, 2010
    Help.

If anyone has the files from ambivert's post #9 on this thread, could they please upload them somewhere for me.

Thanks

Mike

17. shane.birm

shane.birm MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2015
    did you ever find the files? I am too looking for the files. Everything Ive tried so far seems to result in my laptop just not getting a read from the usb stick. I was re-installing my sound card driver on my dell 1749 right before I did the failed bios update, so I have the bootable cd that comes with the laptop containing the drivers still in the slot drive. Conveniently the slot drive has no way of ejecting the cd, and Im afraid the cd is jumping ahead of the usb in the boot process, possibly avoiding the usb?? What a nightmare, this slot is pita to remove it seems. Ive had penty of these things apart, but this particular laptop has just about every single component engineered and built on top and around this stupid slot drive. Thanks for hearing the rant, and if you or anyone knows where these files could be found, I would be eternally greatfull. Thanks, Take care.

18. tgrdrgrss

tgrdrgrss MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2015