Dell t5810 bios dump,mod and flash

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by frankr2994, Dec 11, 2022.

1. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Hi all. Sorry for my ignorance but I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction for dumping and flashing the bios in this. I've went at this previously with and external flash programmer but that's a pain. Can I pull a dump, mod it and flash it back without a PC tear down? I have a lot of the ami bios tools and ifr extractors. It's just what I'm trying to do is alot of trial and error and I'll be flashing this alot. I stopped on this little project a while ago because I got sick of using that external flash programmer.
    Thanks.

2. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    Hello.
    I have read about previous modification attempts and want to express my opinion, which is not really related to the topic really, but still...

Did you notice that your BIOS looks like it has some different user interface? The BIOS is still based on AMI code, but its Setup Utility is not the Aptio one. Maybe the real problem is that Dell has replaced the default form browser with some non-customizable OEM module? I believe that it could turn out that the solution is very simple.

This unlocking problem of AMI is not unique to your BIOS and is more common among devices released this year (saying this as an expert).
    I don't know if this is actually the case, since I did not have such a mobo for tests of various kinds. And at the moment I am generally on vacation without any access to my working PC.

But I am writing this post just to not leave your issue unattended.
    I want to say that I will try to help when I'll have time.

3. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Greatly appreciated. And yes the graphical container seems to be the cause to all of my frustration. Honestly I was past trying to do anything with that ....unless you're someone that can help with that. What I was trying to do was open modules up with ifr extractor and a hex editor and change bios options that way. Re write some of the hex and re open with ifr extractor to verify changes. This was an attempt to unlock a couple things on the board as any change made on amibcp had no effect. From what I can tell looking at ifr the bios has a few ways to default a value which is why I guess the amibcp changes won't work.

4. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    I've read that fpt can be used if the service pins are jumped on this board. Solder pads are there but no pins. I may pull the board and solder a couple of pins in so I can start using fpt with a jumper in place.
    As for the proprietary form. I thought about finding another bios and swapping modules to get a different form. I have no idea how that works. I have some experience with visual basic so I know how forms , buttons, drop downs all work. But the rest of the bios would not be written for that. So in the meantime I'm going to solder some pins in and then patiently wait for some assistance.

5. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    ok so I think I'm getting the hang of modding the hex. However the version of UEFITool i'm using only allows me to extract. I cannot replace anything with it. I've went down through some different versions but I can't get many of them to open. Does anyone know of a full featured uefi tool that will work on Win10?

6. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
    I hope you're good with pins soldering. Have you tried the following unlock method?
    T5810.jpg

Yeah, this makes sense, but for some reason I didn't capture a single case of such a venture success.

But I do not deny that there's no such kind of modification performed by someone. Especially in the BIOS there is 1 interesting module with a telling name.
    T5810~2.jpg

7. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Would you mind elaborating a little on that. No I have not soldered any pins up yet but I will hook my programmer back up if I get something looking right in amibcp. Right now I was going to do a fresh install of the os on this system because well it got screwed up. I see you found where it calls for the main form. Are you referring to replacing the main form variable or trying to un suppress the other forms?

8. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Ok. Well I think I'll start by modifying the ifr the way I think it should be and post it for review. I think that would be the easiest for me to comprehend before actually making the hex edit. Also is there a way to find in the bios the actual graphical form layout. I would assume this would be a module that calls button layout/size/font/color. Because what I I understand is that nothing can be unlocked if there literally isn't a button to call onto the forms in question hidden or not.

9. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
    Yes, I will search for the module using keywords that may be relevant to its purpose inside the BIOS.
    And will let you know how it goes.

10. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Greatly appreciated. I am glad someone else has shown interest in this little project.

11. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
  12. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
  13. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Or are you referring to this comment.

"Well, I tried. The only hint of the possibility of enabling secure boot in your BIOS was "SecureBoot" variable store with a size of 1 byte. Normally it should be 7 bytes, but I gave it a go no matter what. I thought that was it, but I was wrong.
    You won't get the secure boot. Im sorry."

14. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    And if it matters I have no concern if anything is displayed. This is all hidden in the bios GUI. So any and all changes are behind the scenes