Dell t5810 bios dump,mod and flash

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by frankr2994, Dec 11, 2022.

1. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
  2. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    If the variable/options are already there just not visible I'm not sure how to pursue it like you have shown.

But yes more than anything I'd like to modify a Dell bios is some sort of way that actually accomplishes something.

3. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
  4. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
    I know that they work alike, except for the extra functions that do not really simplify the task, as for me.

Actually, you can search for IFR-containing module by entering a specific bytes pattern in the search box of UEFITool. I'm guessing for what purpose?

That link to a non-working mod was more of an argument that correct edits to IFR also require modifying AMITSE Setup Data. But you already understood this thanks to UEFI Editor.
    That editor is a powerfull tool which, again, is no use to unlocking hidden menus.

What else you could catch from the mod for Supermicro mobo is the possibility to change one setting to another. If you were attentive when tinkering with the T5810 bios, you might have noticed that the settings shown in the real setup screen are not "static". I mean that Dell made it so that the form browser hook only certain menus, but the settings in these menus are shown in fully. So, maybe such slight changes as settings swap are allowed?
    You can try to do thus just for fun, if you can figure out what is going in setup data module.

5. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    I'd like to be able to modify the hex anywhere in the bios without searching for modules and extracting ifr

Only to read through any module that may be able to make changes. Extracting modules in alpha62 shows complete modules names many of which I do not know the purpose of without seeing ifr

Any and all things I'm doing here are just for fun. I will continue trying to find an answer there. I also overclock these old machines just for fun which was the only reason for the haste on maybe getting something accomplished towards that since I found someone with a similar machine wanting to assist and test.

6. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
  7. Asparagus Lover

May 17, 2019
    Still don't know much about AMI as I have never owned a computer with this BIOS type to test things.

Setup data module has a block structure. This knowledge gave the modding community a way to unlock the AMD Common BIOS Specifications/Platform BIOS Specifications menu.
    But that's pretty much it. For now.

This is what I have after working with some BIOS. The information is not complete because I dropped collecting it. I no longer needed it, I found another solution for that specific case.
    "xx" - volatile values.

Undefined type
    [start] - FF FF (double FF)
    Access level byte usually two bytes after the start.
    [ending] - xx 00 xx 00

Form sets type
    [start] - xx
    Access level byte just two bytes after the start (always).
    [ending] - 01 00 00 00
    They are ususally aligned. Difficult to miss.

"One of" settings type
    [start] - FF FF
    Somewhere in the mid there are bytes of failsafe and optimal states one next to another.
    [ending] - 01 00 01 00

Settings "One of" UNDER FORMS
    [start] - FF FF
    Somewhere in the mid there are bytes of failsafe and optimal states one next to another.
    [ending] - flag of form + <01> 00 05 00

Selectables
    [start] - easier to locate by access level control byte.
    Access level byte just two bytes after the start.
    [ending] - 01 00 03 00

Names of menus. Including both titles and subtitles.
    [start] - xx FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 01 00 01
    [ending] - 06 00 xx 00

Whole forms itself with settings.
    [start] - xx FF FF FF FF FF FF FF 01 00 01
    Can be VERY large
    [ending] - 06 00 xx 00

Undefined type
    [start] - FF FF
    [ending] - 0B 00 08 00

Undefined type
    [start] - FF FF
    [ending] - xx 00 09 00

Undefined type
    [start] - FF FF
    [ending] - 0B 00 0B 00

Undefined type
    [start] - FF FF
    [ending] - xx 00 0C 00

Numeric type
    [start] - ??
    [ending] - ??

Checkbox type
    [start] - ??
    [ending] - ??
    The start pattern should be the same for both Aptio 4 and 5.:)

8. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Thanks! I'll go through and see if applies to my case.

9. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022

So....I'm going to go through that because I genuinely want to learn proper bios modding. However I found a certain bios tool that I don't think is supposed to be published anywhere. I've been hunting for the right version for a long time and well..it worked. I was able to unlock overclocking with it. Now to see if I can change my power limits.

10. frankr2994

frankr2994 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Is there any way to tell what bios settings will change certain MSRs? It appears I can change the world inside except for CPU voltage. That's part of some lock that doesn't actually let the rest take effect. I have found that whatever triggers with a sleep wake cycle is somewhat the same. There are notes for msr lock in IFR that says unlocks with "power good reset". If I toggle msr lock disabled it doesn't help me. I can manually apply a voltage change from within windows and it also unlocks everything. I just cannot get this to have a voltage change straight out of booting.