Dell Vista Home Premium to Ultimate just use Dell DVD?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dishdude, Oct 27, 2008.

1. dishdude

dishdude MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2008
    Just got a brand new dell pre-installed with Vista Home Premium. Have a few other computers that came with Ultimate and have the Dell OEM DVD that came with them. Can I just wipe the hard drive and install the Vista Ultimate on this machine or does the bios contain the info as to what Version of Vista you have? Thanks..

2. ailef

ailef MDL Senior Member

Nov 30, 2007
    u can install any version u want, just DL a microsoft iso of vista SP1,
    i got a xps M1330 that came with home premium and i installed ultimate SP1 with a microsoft iso vista SP1.
    what u need is the file certificat, u'll find it on the dell DVD and the OEM key for the version u want to install.
    install vista without a key then disable UAC then install certificat in cmd admin mode then install the key in cmd amdin mode.
    so type the command to check your vista activation and u'll see u're fully activated.
    no need to mod your bios, the dell bios got data to activate any vista version offline.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dishdude

dishdude MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks.. So if I use a Dell OEM Vista Ultimate DVD it should already have the certs on it, right? Just pop it in and roll?

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    YES...Just install with a oem serial...NOT the one on the case..I think if the cd is oem..it will have the pid already on it..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If you have Dell Ultimate OEM dvd yes just pop that in it will work the same with Dell XP. Iv'e allready modded Dell vista home premium dvd , but there is a few thing you need to do .

1. use ultraiso and make a iso image of dvd.

2. extract the iso to folder on Hard drive.

3.you need to mount boot.wim 2 in sources folder and when
    mounted remove the PID.TXT file from sources folder in mounted image
    then unmount commit. If pid.txt file is not removed from boot.wim 2 it will
    allways install as premium.

4. copy the pid.txt file from the sources folder on the root of the dvd
    and edit it and change key in it to ultimate or whatever version of vista you
    want.

5. open up the iso you originally made with ultra iso and and the boot.wim file
    you removed pid.txt file from overwriting one in sources folder and do the
    same adding the edited pid.txt file.

6. burn the dvd.

===============================================

Easy way if you have a normal vista dvd

1. make iso with ultraiso

2. copy $OEM$ folder from sources on Dell premium dvd

3. copy pid.txt file from dell dvd and edit adding number for version you want
    to install.

4. add them $OEM$ folder and pid.txt file to sourses folder in iso and burn.

P.S. you can do this with x64 version of vista also the keys and certificates
    still work.