Desktop Icon Temporary Freezeup Problem Windows Technical Preview Builds 9841 & 9860

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Cali4niaWK, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Cali4niaWK

Cali4niaWK MDL Member

Feb 13, 2010
    This workaround fix is for anyone who is having the 30 second icon freeze up problem in Windows Tech Preview builds. I had this problem and tried the original workaround that existed in Windows 8.1 Update 1 and it has fixed my freeze up problem. Here is how to work around this issue for now:

A bug that has carried over from the original Windows 8.1 Update 1 is once again present in the Windows Technical Preview Builds 9841 & 9860 that can cause your desktop icons to temporarly freeze up. When the computer starts up or logs in you can double click on an icon and it will open just fine, however once you try to click on an icon again nothing will happen for about 15 to 30 seconds. If you click on multiple icons within the freeze up nothing will happen until 15 to 30 seconds later then they will all open up in a row. This bug is caused by the Microsoft OneDrive Sync Engine Host located in C:\Windows\System32\SkyDrive.exe

So far there has been no fix to this issue and not everyone is having this issue. But for those of you who are having this issue there is a workaround that will require disabling Microsoft OneDrive, so if you use Microsoft OneDrive then you will have to put up with this bug until Microsoft can get it fixed because the steps below will disable Microsoft OneDrive from working.

1.) Search the web for a program called Unlocker 1.9.2 & Install it WITHOUT the crapware toolbar that comes with it.

2.) Run Unlocker 1.9.2 and search in your C:\Windows\System32 folder for SkyDrive.exe

3.) Rename SkyDrive.exe to SkyDrive.exe.bak and tell it ok then restart your computer.

4.) That should fix your Desktop Icon freezeups.

Once Microsoft confirms and fixes this problem simply go back to C:\Windows\System32\SkyDrive.exe.bak and right click on it and remove the .bak from the end of the file name and restart the computer.

BIG HUGE Thanks to fahrenheit451 for finding this original workaround from Windows 8.1 Update 1.

2. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    i have never had this issue i am guessing its only for some people

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    me neither 8.1 nor 10