Device Manager empty

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Delusion, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Delusion

Delusion MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    I recently had to do a system restore in windows 7 since then when I go into device manager its just empty. Ive tried various ways to get it to work and googled it the best I could come up with was that plug N play service needed to be on which in my case it is. Is there a way to repair or anything that does not involve a complete re-install of windows? Thanks for any tips or tricks

Its Win 7 Ultimate x64 if that makes any difference

2. Delusion

Delusion MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Thanks I also found that and gave it a try. Unfortunately all those settings were already in there so it must be something different. Thanks for your time though.

3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    Despite what anyone including M$ say there are some times when nothing but a reinstall seems to work - could be one of those times.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Just going to throw an idean in here. Run command prompt as administrator and enter:
    sfc /scannow (enter)

This will scan for any corrupted system files and if any are found they will be corrected. With any luck this might help you out. Be aware though any theme / resource mods may be overwritten.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Delusion

Delusion MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    No dice here either it says it did not find any intergity violations. Oh well I guess its re-install time. Thanks for the help though~

6. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    As soon as you get your system installed and stable with minimum software such as security software you should back it up to a system image that you can restore from before Windows starts.