Did something stupid, Win8 sppsvc shot to bits.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !, Mar 4, 2013.

1. ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !

! .ĐΛЄMØИ. ! MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Ok so I made a mistake, I was gonna switch to Win8 KMS activation using cody's MS Toolkit (cuz it's "cleaner" than the last activation method I had used) so I begun deactivating my current activation by doing slmgr /upk and then deleted the spp folder by mistake (I know, I know) after doing this and restarting, Win 8's software protection service is completely borked, it wont start and I can't do sod all to reactivate. I restored my spp folder from my backup but that didn't fix anything, you think it would right? I can't do anything with slmgr it just throws the 0xC0000022 error, same thing if I try to activate with Cody's MS Toolkit. I've researched for hours and can't seem to fix it, SPPSVC won't start either.

Oh god please help me lol.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There are a few options you can use that might work. Off the top of my head I'd say either run admin command prompt "SFC /SCANNOW" or if that fails to fix it, you can resort to using the Windows 8 Refresh option. Search for "Refresh" in the search tool. If neither of those work, try booting from your win8 dvd and use the repair option.

I think there's also a way to choose to boot into repair mode using some sort of advanced options, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

3. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    store folder has special permission. that is your problem. If you have another installation of win8 you can save the permissions with icacls and restore them on the new created folder. Or do it in any other way.

4. ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !

! .ĐΛЄMØИ. ! MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    You were both right! I deleted the spp folder entirely, than ran SFC /SCANNOW.

Windows restored the SPP folder and restarted the computer, everything started working again! I successfully activated with CODY's MS Toolkit.

Thanks for replying, I'm a happy bunny now!