Different Version

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bdearen, Oct 26, 2009.

1. bdearen

bdearen MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Trying to decide if I want professional or ultimate. If I don't use bitlocker or different languages anything else thats NOT in professional that I would be missing? like maybe some stuff they will release in the future like they did for ultimate vista the games and dream scene stuff.

2. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    Thanks sam3971 as usual top notch information. I already know the different features ect.. the main thing I was curious about is microsoft releasing stuff in the future for "only" ultimate like they did with vista.

4. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    #4 sam3971, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    you running ultimate or professional bro?

6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I run both ultimate and pro on separate machines. It really doesn't matter, if you can get a good deal on Pro then get it, otherwise get Ultimate.

7. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    I'm just talking for performance wise. I can't find anyway to remove bitlocker on win7 ultimate. It's something I will NEVER use.

8. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    when i first installed win 7 it was pro and now its been upgraded to ultimate.

the only reason i upgraded it was i needed it to be activated and at the time there were no pro slp keys

i saw and still see no differences in performance at all

9. vision

vision MDL Member

Oct 14, 2009
    The Main and Important thing in Ultimate are Bitlocker
    I wonder why you want to remove Bitlocker.

If you do not want Bitlocker.... go ahead and install Professional.

10. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    anyone use bitlocker?

11. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I'm actually running Pro

12. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I tried it but it is really annoying if you do not have a TPM chip in your motherboard. You can use a USB Thumb drive to replace a TPM chip but if you either format or loose your thumb drive you are locked out. It is cool though if you have a reliable thumb drive and wish to do so. Here is a site post that talks about BitLocker and how to configue Group Policy to enable USB support with BitLocker dude.

13. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    googled for days and I cant' figure out if my board has a TPM chip Asus P5N-D

14. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Odds are it probably does not have one dude. My ASUS board is a December 2008 series and it does not have one either. I believe you have to ask for it because it is a special thing or something.

15. bdearen

Oct 3, 2009
    Any clue how much of a performance hit I would take for using bitlocker on all 3 HD's?

16. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    It should really only slow down the boot a little and maybe a little more RAM utilization. Remeber if you do this and you cant boot to your USM Thumb Drive you are screwed and have to re-format dude. Just a little precaution.

17. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    If you do decide to use Bitlocker you would have to reinstall or move boot files since the boot files cannot be encrypted a 1.5GB partition needs to be on your
    drive.

Re Bitlocker: "In order for BitLocker to operate, the hard disk requires at least two NTFS-formatted volumes: one for the operating system (usually C:) and another with a minimum size of 1.5GB where the operating system boots from. BitLocker requires the boot volume to remain unencrypted, so it should not be used to store confidential information."

There is no backdoor to get in if your encryption key gets toasted on a thumb drive and no hacking the AES128 cipher either.

To each his own but if you just want to store very private items that can only be accessed to you, try going for something similar to a PGP Virtual Disk.
    Then you don't have to worry about encrypting your whole C: drive.