different versions of win8 to consider for new 2024 install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by StrangeMushroom, Jan 18, 2024.

1. StrangeMushroom

StrangeMushroom MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2019
    So I got some computer recycler builds, and i'm just not a fan of windows 10, and I remembered something about win7 being past all extended support and everything by now no matter what you do. (unless i'm misinformed)

So I was considering giving windows 8.1 on at least one of the computers a try, if i'm right that 8.0 had metro, and 8.1 let you have the old interface back. Just because it should still have security updates and stuff a little bit longer. :)

However i'm not sure whats even available... like I see the windows 7 platinum project on here which i'm probably going to go with (i already had win 7 sp-nothing that i put on but will reinstall I think), and I remembered some win 10 ltsb/c stuff as being more stable less problem versions... but I realize i've never given windows 8 a test drive. :)

What would be the one to go with to see what it's like?

2. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    W8.1 has just the start button added, a bit more refined start screen, and close button on metro windows. But is also heavier and slower than Win8/Server 2012.

The stock start button is more an annoyance than a help, given often it interferes with the Classic Shell button which obviously you're going to install.

This 8.1 annoyance doesn't happen in Win8 that lacks any stock start button, and In Win10/11 (because the refined GUI)

If you want to try Win8 is likely better to install Server 2012 (not R2), it has official updates until few months ago + ESU, and comes free of any Metro app (except explorer and the metro setting panel)

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Win8 is Vista's Win7, it will not never beat Win8.1 :v:

4. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #5 acer-5100, Jan 18, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2024

Sure, tecnically Win8 is Win8.1 beta.

But unlike Vista which in SP0 was a tragedy, Win 8 is just a bit rushed in the GUI side which make it easier to fix it.

Being rushed on the GUI side makes, it also make it faster than practically everything else, missing features means also earned CPU cycles after all.

Personally I think the only big omission in Win8 is the reset base feature (which isn't a small thing if you care about storage space)...

5. StrangeMushroom

Nov 30, 2019
    Win 8.1 is perfectly fine, I just mean 8.x as a series... what I mean is... is there an Ultimate? An IoT version? Some extended updated enabling whatever? Some equivalent of the Win 7 Platinum pack that's here which incorporates all the service packs and hotfixes and disables telemetry and crap? Or do I just put on 8.1 vanilla and then look up all the ways to fix those things?

6. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    #7 pm67310, Jan 19, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    use windows 8.0 embedded industry pro or enterprise activate with kms_vl_all

more light ... and fyi 8.1 need more cpu instruction on 64bits than 8.0

=> 8.0 low cpu instruction aka requirement on 64 bits install

( windows 8 store app are removed by design like ltsb / ltsc )

( dont use embedded standard 8 because not possible to activate ! )

, install all update and after user server 2012 ( no r2 ) update to do this use bypass esu blue

after you can add news edge chromium / internet explorer 11 , and net framework 4.8.0

and powershell 7.3.x

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. StrangeMushroom

Nov 30, 2019
    Thanks for the suggestions... doesn't 8.0 force that 'metro' interface? If there are features in 8.1 I really need or find out I should have is there a way to add them if I start with 8.0? (i've never used the 8.x branch at all and wasnt sure how things worked/hence why I was going to experiment)

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

It's a couple of years since I explained how to activate WES8

9. StrangeMushroom

Nov 30, 2019
    Also I missed this first time around, someone else hinted me in the direction of a thread here where newer Server 2022 is used in place of windows 10 for a better experience... i'm not against such a strategy as long as i dont have to become a sysadmin just to use and maintain it. (i'm not against some command line editing or first time setup hassles as long as it just kind of works afterwards - i need to get work done not tinker with my computer all day just to use it)

Why not R2? Whats the Server 2012 experience like vs Windows 8, how is it different or/and better?

10. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    ... not proper way not official

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #12 acer-5100, Jan 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
    Servers generally come with optional components/services. They are all disabled by default. So servers as fresh installed are cleaner/lighter than Clients, and obviously non special Sysadmin ninja powers are needed to use them.

There are few tricks and settings to "clientify" them but they are well known and discussed here in the dedicated thread in the server room

Non R2 is the cousin of Win 8, so, if the point is to test a Win8 level server you need 2012.

Otherwise R2 is the same level as Win8.1 (with advantages and disadvantages are discussed above)

Frankly we are in 2024, testing a different OSing multiboot and native VHDs, or using a VM, is matter of 5 minutes (literally on SSD and a fairly modern machine), so its faster to test in first person than asking on a forum and waiting for a reply.

Whatever....it's the same GUI, minus the metro crap, plus some server spefific settings like the detailed shutdown messages or the shutdown tracker (easy to disable on server, or to enable on clients).

You mean that Satya Nadella, would be againist it and would suggest to use KMS emulators and DAZ loader instead? :roflmao:

12. StrangeMushroom

Nov 30, 2019
    Okay that makes sense, and it's not 5mins for me because i'm neither modern nor on VM or SSD due to poverty. :) But the point is i'm intrigued to the point of wanting to test it more than keep asking questions about it. My main remaining questions are if there's best places to find noncorrupted isos with md5's since ive always been leery about random internet downloads especially on something as important as the OS itself. (it kinda feels like using a pirated antivirus) It's where to start, whether hacked versions worth downloading are available (like the windows 7 platinum project linked, has anyone made rebuilds of server that are 'better' or with things integrated or decrapified/client-ized automatically without lots of manual configuration) and how best to activate and if other essentials should be done to be used on the internet. AKA from bare metal to "i'm posting from my server install now" if there are quirks worth knowing about or unique problems to solve, since after that point i'll learn as I go.