Disable/Remove Telemetry and Tracking Service

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by abbodi1406, Feb 10, 2016.

1. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
  2. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Would it be possible to rename key instead? like
    reg copy "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener" "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\$AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener" /s /f
    reg delete "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\Diagtrack-Listener" /f
    ok, as you say I don't see why people would be interested to restore these :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tro511

tro511 MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2019
    abbodi1406,

I'm coming from a point of total ignorance here, so forgive me if this is way out there. Would it be possible to use dummy/fake DLL and EXE files, registry entries to make Windows think that the Customer Experience Improvement, Telemetry stuff, Compatibility Appraiser, etc, were already installed? If so, could they be used to report a 'newer version' than what would be installed by offending Monthly Rollups, Security only patches/updates? In other words, could the offending updates by ran by doing this, allowed install anything outside of the offending files and not removed in their entirety, leaving Windows Updates reporting that they are installed, and hopefully allowing removal of the entire fake-out system?

I hope that makes sense!