Disable/Remove Telemetry and Tracking Service

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by abbodi1406, Feb 10, 2016.

1. kazumamc

kazumamc MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2017
    In comparison to the downloaded W10-Block.cmd, the W10-Block.cmd from the instructions has a duplicate line:
    Code:
    reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\SQMLogger /f >nul 2>&1
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\DiagTrack /f >nul 2>&1
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection /f >nul 2>&1
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\DiagTrack /f >nul 2>&1

from the downloaded W10-Block.cmd:
    Code:
    reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\SQMLogger /f >nul 2>&1
    reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection /f >nul 2>&1

and from the instructions, the last schtasks command is missing an "s", instead of "chtasks" change it to "schtasks".

2. ddhelmet

ddhelmet MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2017
    If only there was a Windows 7 Enterprise LTSB.

3. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    What's the point of that? Longer support? Pointless.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. grafit

grafit MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2017
    You are pointless :D

5. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Do you even... We're already well into 7's extended support. Even if there was an ltsb branch of 7, it would not go past 2020(more than 11 years since launch) and it would certainly be the same as the current situation. What makes you so sure that it would be any different? MSFT have proven that they most certainly do NOT want you running an "old" OS, which lacks telemetry, so they sure as heck would think of an excuse the pull the plug on a supposed 7 ltsb(security issues, compatibility issues, etc. ). They've proven that with forced upgrades to 10 and probably many law suites settled OUT OF COURT. Now, if they'd been more subtle with the spyware bulls**t and stuck a bit closer to windows 7 in that regard, windows 10 could've currently been the most popular MSFT operating system, with windows 7 in toe.
    Be glad you can still use windows 7 on relatively modern hardware, although after additional tweaks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. grafit

grafit MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2017
    Oh I'm sorry, I thought You were refering to this topic in general - like: what's the point of stubborn sticking with win7? support will end soon...

I don't even know what ltsb is :D

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #167 Michaela Joy, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  8. grafit

grafit MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2017
    @Michaela Joy, wow great, thanks for the link, I've never have heard of it before, maybe because of MS mass survilance policy I did not care of win10 at all, but no cortana and no shop (dont know what those really are, but dont wanna no), means more privacy right? Probably will still gather some data... When that day comes I would have to finally install on all computers at home at work at company, the open source ones and say goodby to MS once for all! Its been a pleasure MS, we've been together since MSDOS, but I finally grow up to move on... xD For know I'm staying on win7 for the long as I can.

I'm not really on time here... what are the most common rumors about future after "real" end of win7? Is the came up some kind of consensus among internet users in this regard last couple of months/years?

As to your question bout updates, it sounds like you think that simpix upgrades are somehow different, like: not from MS xD
    "hey ho hey ho then can end support for win7, I don't care, I have simplix" hahah

9. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    #169 shhnedo, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    No, she doesn't.

There are none. No tin foil stuff.

10. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Windows 7 will probably be like Windows XP today. No updates released by Microsoft (not even with simplix as this uses the official updates) and without support of various softwares like browsers (without updates). Anyone who does not mind using old versions of software will have no problems.

The future of the desktop is in Linux :)

11. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @shhnedo: My thoughts exactly. For both questions. :)

@AeonX: I totally agree. :)

12. grafit

grafit MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2017
    It sure looks like it, but what next?

And this LTBS version? Read on below.

An what about that -> "reddit.com r Piracy comments 6dvkbt full_guide_installing_activating_windows_10_ltsb/"
    For me its 100% encouraging, but I'm failing to understand why so many people don't have any intrest in this version and prefer normal retail ones and then patch it, block it, change it, install diffrent "antypiracy killswitches" and so on... Maybe they just doesn't know? Nevertheless from description it looks like a decent way out, doesn't it?

13. BlackJuju

BlackJuju MDL Novice

May 1, 2016
    I've read here that the monthly security and quality rollups since October 2016 include telemetry. Does anybody know if this is the case with the NET Framework rollups since October 2017 as well?

14. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    It's just the diagtrack service, not the whole telemetry infrastructure (which is overrated on W7 / W8.1 and can be easily disabled)

no

15. algorithim

algorithim MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2017
    This has some great information....I have just finished reading it (a long read) and have some useful information. Thanks for this thread

16. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for the delay in replying. Well, hard to predict what Microsoft will do.
    I think it will depend on how many users will still be using Windows 7 by the time they end their support.

In my opinion LTSB will never be a replacement for Windows 7 because although it comes with less junk this still has the same core of Windows 10 and all your negatives.

Things that were simple in Windows 7 have become more difficult and annoying to do in Windows 10. Every time Microsoft is removing items from the control panel and migrating to the Settings App making simple things more annoying to do.

Even LTSB and Windows 8.1 need several tweaks to stay close to what we have in Windows 7. I'm still testing to decide which I'm going to use. But the more you change Windows trying to optimize it the more irritating this task becomes and has moments that I lose patience and think of going back to Windows 7 for what can only be done in it and focus my efforts on Linux. It is certainly an investment with more return on results and knowledge.

Many people like to use the latest software and OS but LTSB has long support and only receives upgrades every 3 years so you'll be in the same build only receiving security updates for a long time until a new LTSB build is released. Additionally LTSB is not officially available to regular users and some need a legitimate Windows activation.

17. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    @ abbodi1406

Now after .Net Framework 4.7.1 release, Isn't a good time to update your great script W10-Block.cmd?

Best Regards

taviruni

18. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    .NET updates never been related to telemetry

19. Mandy

Mandy MDL Member

Oct 15, 2010
    @Abodi1406 Great work as always nice one

20. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Notice:

The compatibility appraiser updates KB2952664/KB2976978 are now categorized as "Important" update in WU