Disable SPP / Software Protection Platform?!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by KNARZ, Nov 1, 2012.

1. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #1 KNARZ, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    Some of you say you will get problems if 'you' disable the service but what kind of problems?
    Please list you're confirmed! concerns.

Now I customized and unlocked all W8/2012 features MS provides. I only use this in a W8 VM (really only) for testing purpose. I also activated the VM, but just for cosmetic reasons and to be sure everything will work just from the beginning.

The only big systemchange was to disable spp (start=4).

2. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Windows Update and Office will not work probably.

3. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    #3 Josh Cell, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    You'll get non-genuine messages after some hours of use without SPPSVC on the computer, because the activation system hasn't a return of the activation status, that is requested at a programmed time by the Operating System.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    WU works without any problems. - It only could cause problems while installing new certificates which MS won't provide as I guess. Office has it's own service.

Till now I haven't seen any non-genuie messages. I set the genuine status manual and got also from from activated windows.
    I will let the VM run for a while. I'm curious.

5. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    I've tested on an real machine and the non-genuine messages will appears soon..

Is needed some hours with use and restarts also.

The licensing platform is the same from Windows 7 at also occurs the same case. I also thought that disabling / tampering activation services will freeze the activation using KMS or other activation method, but the system is flagged anyway.

Windows Updates can work today, but with the time, will be released updates that requires genuine checks, that will fail and flag the OS as non-genuine like 'RemoveWAT' solution from Hazar.

Microsoft can track also by Genuine Validations that not works for Windows 8 at this time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #6 KNARZ, Nov 2, 2012
    (OP)
    I have used one MCE key with the data.dat - so it's permanently.
    After this I disabled the service and than edited the license limitations.

The system (slui.exe) says still it's activated. Also it's genuie, as this is a license information which won't change.
    Enableing spp would only cause losing the unlocked features.

I'm not deep in RemoveWAT, but I think that was more or less just deleting the service.

btw: does somebody know or has a link what the notifications modes are in detail?

7. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    No nag screen or anything other appeared till now/today.

I guess the difference is that RemoveWAT removes / disabled the Service while the System is not activated.
    My concept is different I disable the service after acitvation - so nothing should/might get triggerd.
    If my concept works than all system can be set as activated without even entering a product key or anything else.

8. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    #8 Josh Cell, Nov 2, 2012
    Are you testing in a real machine? Using the internet, installing programs and restarting? Changing the clock not will take a result, any time that the activation check is ordered by usage time.

I also have deactivated the service 'when the windows is activated by 180 days' in order to stop the activation validaty check using the KMS activation forever, but it is an fail and with sure, the Windows will be flagged with nag screens soon. Simply really test yourself and see the results.

Disabling the Software Protection Platform Service, you're tampering the activation skills of the system, also damaging the Office 2013 areas.

9. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I test in VM but this is running all the time my normal system is running. Internet is on, logged in with live account (new pseudo).
    Installing Apps, no real desktop applications. Restarting a few times... just 4 fun (as you write above) and for further testings.

btw. you're tokens tool won't work. I guess you're doing something with sppsvc or your checks rely on the service.
    I hope it get's flagged otherwise the complete license system can be compromised pretty easy.

If you have any idea to force a nag screen or something else... please tell me.
    Or testing tools?!

10. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    SoftwareLicensingService of WMI also fails on the license state query, here's the reason for problems using a copy without the SPPSVC enabled.

I just know that the SPPSVC aren't the king of the activation on Windows 8.

Other kernel areas also query the license state of the OS, is a case of the Immersive Control Panel, that is needed the activation for personalizations, including the Explorer.exe that try to get the license state. All it can back the nag screens because isn't possible to get the activation state, even if the system is activated, but has no SPPSVC working.

11. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #11 KNARZ, Nov 2, 2012
    (OP)
    You're right. But the licence state is writtin in a value that i modify and seems to be queryed all over the system (features). This value is normaly managed by sppsvc (afaik). WMI also just works with sppsvc. The system don't need any 'refreshes' as it is activated with retail or mak. And therefore the value is not updated in any way without the service running. Also there are no indicators that there is any need to update the value. Up till now the system (since 2 days) might don't need anything additional. I have fully access to customize for Personaliszantion as I set the GenuieState to true (which i can set manually but was written by the normal activation process).
    What I want to say is: If I modify the value that gets queryed by kernel and all system features and is normaly just updated and triggerd by spp algorythems and the values does not contain any information about expiring or something (but does contain license status). Than I don't see any point why this shouldn't work over a long period.
    As I said. I hope (for microsoft) this doesn't work, but till now... It all works flawlessly.

12. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Keep in mind that we do not allow hacktivation as it's a temporary solution that becomes a permanent problem.

Online genuine checks and genuine checks performed by MS software will fail or report an error. For example, if you were to run MGADiag it'd probably error or contain an error in it's report.

13. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    When the WMI fails at the query, really you'll have problems soon, either with validations or simply genuine checks by newer updates, is just a rule of the Microsoft against all it on Windows 8.

The most effective solution today is the KMS. One time that it's flagged as genuine natively by the Microsoft, and is an generic activation method based in server requests. Also you won't need of tamper any file.

14. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Press the copy button and paste into notepad and you'll see a load more.

I don't think WMI itself is effected, but Windows depends on this service for all activation methods. If you modify system files then maybe it won't, but like I said, we don't support that here.

15. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    The basic command to query all available licenses is "wmic path softwarelicensingproduct". To get the activated and valid licenses it can be filtered with "wmic path softwarelicensingproduct where licensestatus=1" (0 == unlicensed, 1 == licensed, 2 == initial grace, etc.).

16. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #17 KNARZ, Nov 2, 2012
    (OP)
    I don't wont to bother or mess with anyone but is changing registry values the kind of you don't support? - Hackivation or what you called it (never heard of that, sry). I don't modify system files only registry values.

Export /copy don't work do the errorcode.

Wmic doesnt work either depends on spp

17. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Changing registry values also is an hacktivation - it disables the SPP funcionality, but less invasive, and also can brick or / and get nag screens.

18. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    If any permissions are changed or any files in C:\Windows then it's classed as hacktivation.

We've seen it all before. People will modify their system files, services or registry and then when a real activation solution appears people who've applied these hacks are unable to gain real activation status because their systems in a poor state. That's why Josh and myself have released applications in the past to fix the Windows activation system. So with Windows 8 we're not allowing any posts about hacktivation.

19. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Ok. But restore the default setting would only need to activate spp again. So just change the start value from sppsvc to 2 back again, than all changes are discard.

I don't change any registry or file permissions as i also don't change ANY windows files.
    As long as i don't post any specific values it doesn't count as hacktivision as i think it doesn't count at all. please correct me if i'm wrong.
    But discussions are allowed, or not even this?