Disable Windows 8 Auto Update to 8.1 in store

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by acyuta, Oct 29, 2013.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #1 acyuta, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    After doing this, I went to windows store. Although there was 8.1, when I double clicked, it said `sorry this update has been blocked by your system administrator'. That is of course me.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    If your existing Win8 was activated by MAK, it should not even have been offering the upgrade to you.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    #4 Tito, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    It seems a mistake from acyuta. Technet keys should be retail.

:popcorn:

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    My mistake in confusing technet retail with MAK. Anyway as they sing in the highest grossing Hindi movie of all time: ALL IS WELL:)

6. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Thanks for helping turn this annoying feature off.

I raise a glass to you sir.

7. aramando

aramando MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2013
    Thanks for posting this, the nag is starting to really annoy me (and I've only seen it a handful of times so far).

Incidentally, I get annoyed by options that don't have the described effects, and this is such an option. Why should disabling "the offer to upgrade" prevent a user from manually requesting upgrading? I really hate Microsoft sometimes. Quite often, actually.

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    As PM by Tito to me `necessity is the mother of invention'.
    By the way, in gpedit.msc, you have to turn it off in 2 instances: one in computer config or something like that and once in users. The store entry is in both and easily visible. Disabling one will not work. Disabling both will work 100%. The computer config entry is perhaps for admins and user entry is for non-admin/users.

I did this in October 2013 and since then have been rid of that nag.

Perhaps people could point to me the gpedit entry to turn auto install of drivers. This is because I always keep a basic windows image (with only updates). However in win 8, MS has this irritating habit of installing NVIDIA drivers without any prompt. I have no problems with that but it wastes 220 MB of bandwidth.

9. beev

beev MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    May be you do not understand Microsoft. They put a lot of energy in informing us.
    Therefore a methaphore of the behavior and policy of Microsoft.

RAILWAYS
    The Railway company puts a lot of energy into making timetables and inform us about updates.
    Therefore there are expensive clocks on every station and a lot of loudspeakers.
    The trains run exactly according to these high standard timetables.

Why are there so many delays?
    The delays and also other railroad-problems are caused by that nasty travelers.
    The trains are just in time, but travelers linger with boarding.
    Think of the hustling when all are boarding through the same door.
    In addition, most travelers do not read the schedule and they do not understand the shouted update messages coming from the loudspeakers.

10. riparian

riparian MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2013
    #10 riparian, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    I see nothing useful in 8.1 and don't want it foisted on me. As usual, Big Brother Microsoft doesn't offer a "STOP BOTHERING ME" option as one of the choices, so this was the next best thing. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :worthy:

Sorry about your hair though.

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #11 acyuta, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
    (OP)
  12. Stang777

Stang777 MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2014
    Thank you so very much for posting the info regarding disabling that annoying notification. I really appreciate you having done that.

I appreciate it so much that I registered for this site just so I could thank you.

Once again, thank you very much