Disabling NTFS Compression in Windows 8.1?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I have an SSD, is it a good idea to disable NTFS Compression in Windows 8.1 through the registry?

What about other tweaks such as disable NTFS last access update and enable large system cache?

I don't know why Microsoft still doesn't enable the large system cache on today's modern OSes knowing that most new laptops come with high end CPUs?

please shed some light on this

thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't know about compression issues.
    On the large system cache, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Win8.1 already uses a few gigabytes of cache for the file system.
    Back when I tested it on Win8.0, the large system cache just slowed down startup/shutdown.
    It didn't help overall system speed at all.
    The idea is that it would load more into memory, but for win8.0 it didn't seem to do that. I don't know exactly what it does, but it's not beneficial.

3. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Don't disable compression. There is no benefit to it (in fact, if you're on a SSD, it's a good thing).

NTFS last access is disabled by default. No need to touch it.

No need to touch the cache settings, either. The system disk cache has no adverse effect on drive performance or life and makes good use of excess RAM.

I do like to set the Superfetch service from auto-start to manual start in the services management panel, since that's an active cache and thus incurs extra costs that for very little benefit (on a SSD).

4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    thanks a LOT for this tip guys! I used to always enable large system cache thinking it was good and disable compression! much appreciated

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    when you install if you format
    8kb clusters: I.e."format /q /fs:ntfs /a:8192 E:" you make big clusters, then no compression anymore, even in system files:D.
    have a good one

6. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    NTFS compression use CPU and more use of SSD/HDD...

7. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    What is the proper format for a SSD? (for correctly align)

8. Thvle

Thvle MDL Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Yes, I would like to know what are the steps to format the SSD properly and align it with the program that you said you use :) I have understood according must align to 4K, not¿? Regards :)

9. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm interested in this as well. I see often some diskpart txt imports with offsets and such and I have no idea what to put, or to simply omit those things.
    If anyone could come up with some sort of disk partitioning guide that would be super helpful.

10. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I explained in more detail in my PM response, but in general it would be really nice to know exactly how to partition using what commands, and why.
    WinVista uses 1 partition (offset? shrug dunno)
    Win7/2008 uses 2 partitions (100mb and rest of hd; offsets? shrug)
    Server 2011 home/sbs-standard/sbs-essentials uses 3 partitions (100mb, 50GB, rest of hd IIRC, could be off a little. Offsets? shrug)
    Server 2011 multipoint uses 2 partitions (100mb and rest of hd; offsets? shrug)
    win8/2012 uses 2 partitions (300mb and rest of hd; offsets? shrug)
    Win8.1/2012r2 uses 2 partitions (350mb and rest of hd; again offsets?)

My point here is that we sort-of have an idea of how to partition things, but then theres also extra things to consider like GPT partitioning, offsets, etc.
    It's not as simple as running a program. We want to know exactly what numbers to use and why.

11. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    Best way is to use a hard drive format tool for cluster alignment and reset on ssds.
    Being mine just a regular 250gb hard drive (232GB) this is how i got it:
    (in your case prepare the ssd first)

Started setup, in the last part with the hard drives. press Shift-F10
    find out your hard drive letter (mine setup gave me an H)
    type the "format /q /fs:ntfs /a:8192 G:" then you can use the chkdsk command to verify
    if you see this, then :D no way there's going to be compression:
    Capture.JPG
    it's lazy proof :)

hope it helped
    good point on doing the alignment on ssd hard drives before trying, I suppose 4kb sector hard drives need alignment before formatting :)

12. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    After Vista all MS operating systems use an offset of 1mb or 2048 sectors, for XP an offset of 64kb or 128 sectors is highly recommended

13. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    It uses CPU, but very little by modern standards. Don't compress an entire drive, but it does make sense for locations that are infrequently accessed to be compressed.

Personally, I leave compression alone. I usually don't manually compress files, and I certainly do not uncompress files that are automatically compressed (if Windows thinks it makes sense for some files to be automatically compressed, I'm not going to argue with that).

14. Heidegger

Heidegger MDL Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Where do you get this nonsense? Windows built-in formatting tools have aligned partitions properly at least since Windows 7 and maybe Vista too.

As for compression, it's useless for Sandforce drives but might be useful for other SSD technologies, especially if your data is highly compressible and you need the space.