Disabling Windows Defender auto quarantine

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bersekz, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Bersekz

Bersekz MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2016
    Is there an option to disable the auto quarantine? I'd rather have a dialog box asking me every time what to do rather than seeing my files go into quarantine automatically. Or better, not being asked at all, just having my programs blocked from running, so I know that I have to go temporarily disable Windows Defender protection.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Jul 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    It is not no more available on settings, but still is available in local group policy. But You can do it also directly through registry (no matter, if You have group policy manager or not, for example in home version You don't have it).
    Insert this into registry and it should work.
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender]
    "DisableRoutinelyTakingAction"=dword:00000001

Or open Local Group Policy Editor, find Local Computer Policy => Computer Configuration and under it go to Administrative Templates =>
    Windows Components => Microsoft Defender Antivirus => on right side find Turn off routine remediation => doubleclick on it and in new window select Enabled -> Apply and you have done.

If you believe what has been suggested in the past, then it should work. Personally not tested, as there is absolutely no need for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bersekz

Bersekz MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2016
    Why you say that? I constantly get false positive files sent to quarantine, so there's definitely a need for it.

Anyway, I tryed what you suggested and it works, even though it works differently from what Windows says in its Group Policy setting: it says that activating the policy will make the user decide how to handle each threat, but instead you just get an error saying that you can't run the X file because it contains viruses. I actually prefer this way since I just know I have to disable the Windows Defender Antivirus when it happens, so I'm pleased with the result.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #4 kaljukass, Jul 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Why did I say it wasn't necessary?
    Because you can put it in the folder where you download such things and if You add this folder in list of exceptions and no problem.
    Another thing, you can put specific file types or full file names in the exceptions and there is no problem.
    If you do, you know those files that may give a false positive, and once you have placed them in the exceptions, they will no longer be displayed or checked.
    If a new such thing comes up, you will check if necessary and add to the list of exceptions if necessary. That's what I was thinking.
    I get usually such a message about twice a year, sometimes even less. That's why I said.
    But nice if this option satisfied you. Now I also know that it works when someone else asks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    I just uninstall Defender offline from the mounted install.wim before I install Windows on my computer. I do this with all the latest insider builds which I clean install.