Disappearing files and folders

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by archaeopteryx, Feb 8, 2011.

1. laqk

laqk MDL Junior Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Have you tried issuing a "dir /AD" command in a command window to see if the "invisible" folder is listed in the result ?

Also, try the "chkdsk C:" command in a command window, to see if it reports any file system anomalies.

I think the first thing to try to figure out is whether this is a file system problem or an explorer problem.

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Hey this may help you

Its possible that the folder attributes are correctly set to allow the folder to be seen (-h -s). Yet, as many of you know, you can prevent any folder on your computer from being seen on a computer network by simply adding a "$" to the end of the folder's name. So, I suppose that a virus or malware program could secretly do this and then convince the operating system that the folder is a networked folder, in which case the folder would remain invisible even if the folder's attributes are set to -h and -s.

Check your folder names do they have "$" to the end?

or try

Here is how to fix it

Go to Run --> type in cmd

In Cmd follow the steps

Type in :
    cd C:\Windows

Then type in:

attrib -s -h C:\Windows (replace with your folder path and name)

there are spaces in between -s and -h and C:\windows

Worth a go?

3. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2010
    @ JaguarXJ12

Hey, it's way over my head! Thanks 4 your help tho - I reckon it may be worth while buying AvaFind to see if that brings anything to light. I have to admit, I'd not heard of it b4.

4. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    I couldn't find anything "$"

I no longer have any 'invisible' folders (that I know of) which I can use to test out how to flush them out. This is getting a bit abstract now, but to make the folders 'visible' to Explorer again I had to perform a search for "FolderX" which I would then cut and paste back into the correct folder. A straight copy and paste would warn me that I was about to overwrite an existing "FolderX" which, of course, I could not see.

5. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    Cheers - I ran "chkdsk C:" - no problems there.

I have to hold my hands up - I don't understand the "dir /AD" you mention

6. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    @Heidegger

The missing files aside, AvaFind is a fantastic search tool.

7. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    Could it have anything to do with folder structures in "Libraries"? I only ask that as this has never happened to me before in any other version of Windows (and I'm running out of ides!)

8. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

#28 JaguarXJ12, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  9. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    #29 archaeopteryx, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
  10. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

So I take it that it worked out for you archaeopteryx?
    In that case congrats man!

Or is the problem still there?

11. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi Jaguar. I'd love to tell you it'd been solved - I thought it had until 5 minutes ago - that's why I'm back on here so quickly to reply to you!

It seems at the moment that the best I can do is constantly check files and folders are visible in their correct directory. I can't afford to lose anything or waste time trying to track down missing items.

I truly appreciate everyone's help and concern on this matter. Does anyone have any other ideas please? o_O

12. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

Oh man that's really sad to hear, so close.
    There must be some way to solve this, have you made changes in some settings that could have started this issue.
    It's easy to change things and then forget about it, it happens me once in a while, drives you crazy.

13. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    Hi Jaguar - I'm racking my brains and thinking along the same lines as you suggest. I can't honestly say I've changed too much at all, particularly with the existing filing system. Apart from creating files and folders whilst working, I can think of nothing new that could potentially upset my system. What confuses me is that it's not happening all the time - just now and again for no apparent reason.

14. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I have tried to somehow reproduce this but with no luck, and no abnormalities was found.
    I tried the 'Save as' in all sorts of programs and destinations in Libraries.

Back to the thinking board then.

15. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    Were Libraries native to Vista? Not of huge significance to my problem - am just interested as a side issue...

Because I'm a relative newcomer to Windows 7, I'm trying to experiment a bit too. For instance, I was starting to wonder whether it was anything to do with saving through the 'Libraries' route.

For example, let's say I have a folder in 'My Documents' called 'Design Work' which is actually incorporated into a Library called 'Work'. Would there be any significant difference to the system between 'saving as' through 'Libraries/Work/Design Work' and 'My Documents/Design Work'.

16. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

No libraries was not native to Windows Vista, it's something completely new to 7.

As to your other thoughts, yes that may be related to all this. But that's just an strong guess from my side.

17. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    #37 archaeopteryx, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
    (OP)
    I'm left with guesses here too!

In an earlier response, Heidegger asked if I had UAC activated. Would that affect the file system in Windows? Also, what do other Windows 7 users have their UAC set to if I may ask?

As a postscript, I don't want to hijack this on a new subject, but I am the only user on my Windows 7 PC (which I use for work) and just wondered what the optimal setting for my system itself would be.

18. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I don't know but I always turn that baby sitter called UAC off, I don't need no stupid AI to tell me what to do and not to do.
    I don't recommend it for anybody except for parents who want to control what their kids are doing, that's the only sensible thing I can come up with.
    Make it easy archaeopteryx and execute it for good, it only belongs to the dumpster, Windows was good without it.

19. archaeopteryx

Sep 15, 2010
    With pleasure!! That's exactly what I wanted to hear - big thanks!

20. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

You're quite welcome sir.
    Microsoft would make us a great favor removing it completely with Windows 8, or making it more usable for some kind of parent mode.