DISCUSSION: Android "Remix OS" for PCs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by winmaniac, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #61 Antilope, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gaaara

gaaara MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2015
    #63 gaaara, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    ty Antilope for your post is right is the driver probleme just is not possible to add the drivers unfortunately I have to wait for the osremix works to my nvdia :) p.s sorry for my english ^^

i test the new release i have a loop on welcome menu loll to skip logo go to 1:30

youtube dot com/watch?v=Cu6hF39CoJI

3. Tovagulet

Tovagulet MDL Novice

Apr 7, 2012
    So basically, If I don't have a USB 3.0 port and a USB 3.0 pendrive I won't be able to use RemixOS?

What if I install it in a hard drive, is there some way to do it?

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I'd MAYBE trust Paranoid Android - ONLY! (Or such distros...)

If all the snoopers etc. have been removed, no Gobble apps installed, then... maybe...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. djohne

djohne MDL Novice

Apr 2, 2014
    Yes, You can install it.
    See on youtube: "How to multiboot RemixOS, PhoenixOS & Androidx86 all in one internal HDD with GRUB4DOS"

youtube dot com/watch?v=CR2MByTvJn8:biggrin:

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #67 Michaela Joy, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  7. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I have tried RemixOS, PhoenixOS & Androidx86 on a variety of h/w - and have never seen RemixOS or PhoenixOS boot fully.
    Wasted loads of time trying to find resolutions for errors, and in the end just gave up on those 2 for now.

With Androidx86 I went straight into using it in a VM and it works quite well - with 3 exceptions:
    - I have yet to get it rooted;
    - Installing APK files is neither obvious nor direct;
    - Finding a way to make an emulated SD card is also a problem I have yet to solve.

I am reluctant to spend any more time on either RemixOS or PhoenixOS given that they seem to be extremely h/w fussy and that there does not seem to be any straight ISO for PhoenixOS available that I can find - just a hokey EXE installer that they offer with almost no info about what it needs for file system, etc. .

Has anyone found solutions for any of the problems that I listed ??
    Anyone successfully running RemixOS or PhoenixOS in a VM ??

Thanks.

8. Lodge

Lodge MDL Novice

May 31, 2016
    Shocked how no-one has pointed out the privacy concerns with this OS.

1. "You agree that you irrevocably waive any and all ownership, legal and moral rights to your user content."

2. You're also not allowed to oppose "the basic principles determined in the Constitution of the People's Republic of China", harm it's "national honor and interests", or undermine it's "national religious policy, promoting cults and superstitions".

3. Also, you're not allowed to spread rumor, disturb social order, or undermine social stability.

I heard rumors of this being changed, but even so, this is violation of what FOSS i supposed to be about. This removes any chance of me trusting this OS, or Jide.
    At first i didn't believe that such a stupid EULA could exist, so i booted up Remix in Virtualbox.
    Sure enough, it was there.

9. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Best one I've found...

I was able to scrounge up a copy of AndroVM & it worked flawlessly & instantly for me under VirtualBox.

10. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Runs quite well here and the current builds already include root (RemixOs).

11. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    As you've commented...:
    I have yet to try what came out since then & they had a major release recently.
    Thanks for the reminder.

12. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    When i put a sd card in my slot remixos does not see it, wonder why ?.

13. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I thought for a long time that it would be great to have Android running on a PC, especially if it could be done somehow in a way that cost very little space-wise and would have been great if it ran on older h/w.
    Did not happen.

That was why I was interested in Remix; I was even interested in their little Remix box for a time, BUT:
    The 89.99 price, even with their sensational $40 off made me hesitate...and I'm delighted that I hesitated !!

Because:
    Now my focus has pretty much shifted to doing stuff with TV Boxes instead.

I am finding that it is pretty much possible to do most anything on a TV Box with the many apps that exist - so in essence, a $35 box along with an added KB & mouse can do most anything that a PC is commonly used for...

Of course I have no desire to ditch my desktop PC, still have lots of uses for it every day - but without making any real sacrifice space-wise I can also have a tiny little TV Box running Android at my same space, and all I have to do is change sources for the video to use it.

Between all the hobbyists who have made great efforts with it - and Android itself - really good things have come about...finally - something in the tech realm that does NOT suck.

Android has done what nothing else had ever accomplished before it;
    Very quietly it has become what I would call the Universal OS - and that just pleases me immensely.

14. melted

melted MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2015
    I was excited about remix before I heard the same news you posted. That all started way back in the initial beta's I think.
    Androidx86 didn't work very well for me or I got very bored with it. I can't remember.
    If you are looking for a decent emulator what works nicely is MEmu. I like it better than bluestacks.
    There is a thread on XDA that explains everything it's capable of as well as new links to version changelogs.

15. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    That looks very nice. Let us know how well it works.

16. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    I got it after a while & its a very tiny, handsome thing.
    Trouble is - all the f/w for it goes through their forum - which is a genuine PITA - very badly done.
    Since I have other projects of a more urgent nature, the cute little thing has stayed in its cute little box thus far...!

17. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  18. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014