[DISCUSSION] Best VPN's for torrenting use

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Mr.X, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yeah, I use Bittorrent Portable.

2. olivercervera

olivercervera MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2009
    I've been with Torguard for more than a year. First of all, strict zero log policy, to me it's a standard when using a VPN.
    They allow Torrents on many of their servers, loads of protocols and ciphers available, up to 5 simultaneous connections, many servers and locations, stealth servers to bypass China firewall (and similar). Servers are pretty fast, I manage to eat all my 80 Mbit fibre via VPN. In general they claim that your usage on their network is unlimited and not filtered in any way.
    Their app on PC is great, not so great on Android and iOS. Their website doesn't provide a great experience, but has some handy tools, for example a OpenVPN configurator generator.
    Their support is damn fast.
    I recommend to buy the package VPN + Proxy. They have a lot of Proxy locations and connections (HTTP, HTTPS and SOCKS5).
    I stick with them if they will keep up with the great service.

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Get real...

"First of all, strict zero log policy, to me it's a standard when using a VPN."

You have NO way of knowing that.

4. olivercervera

olivercervera MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2009
    I know, but somebody should be trusted, right? Are you able to be your own ISP? NO. You must trust somebody. Torrentfreak did an article a while ago about best VPNs for Torrenting, and Torguard was there, explaining that their network is build in a way that they can't recognize an user while connected. And yes, I decided to trust them.

5. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. windowsguru

windowsguru MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2012
    Been using torguard for a few months and no slowdown on speed, always able to connect to whichever country server I wish.

7. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I've used Torguard for about a year. It can saturate my 80Mbps/20Mbps line using uTorrent 2.2.1. Some of the servers are listed as 'torrent friendly' and I stick to those.

It's reasonably stable (doesn't drop VPN very often). I cope with the occasional drop by using custom routing and Windows' firewall to prevent certain applications using any other network, and force others to bypass the VPN and use the native network. That works better than the 'kill' switch.

Torguard's support has been adequate on the odd occasion I've needed it.

I used to use PIA but find Torguard drops less often, connects more reliably first time and is perhaps faster. ymmv of course.

As to trust? I don't trust anyone. A VPN just means there is less likelihood of someone taking the effort to bother me.

8. JamJells

JamJells MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2017
    NORD seems to be stable and you can change location if download is slow. 80 for two years. Updates usually every two months. Simple and Easy. MagnetDL beats them all not spam pop ups and direct magnets. Just have to research on other sites for inside of each torrent Little is posted about Magnet torrents and their contents. You have to know the exact name of each torrent to vet if you want to download it.

9. antonio8909

antonio8909 MDL Guru

Feb 16, 2014
    I'm using NordVPN since yesterday because I read the list here. I hope it'll work perfect

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Sorry, for some reason I do not understand this. What has a VPN to do with the inside of a torrent? Which torrent client does not tell you that?

11. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    BTGuard has been reliable for 5 years for me. Best vpn I think.

12. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I have used both Ivacy and ibVPN for torrenting, both provide good speeds, but I am in India, so nobody gets any notice for torrenting unless they do it in their office !

13. danlyn

danlyn MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2015
  14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    You can take off Express VPN as of yesterday, they seem to be blocking trackers and as result, you cannot download or even locate peers or seeds.

At the moment, it does not matter which location you use either as I cannot even seed Linux Distros. I noticed last night when even sharing Debian Linux became impossible.

Attached Files:

15. bob4432

bob4432 MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2017
    Have been using PIA for a couple years and have not had the issues brought up by other members - must me lucky.
    Have been able to saturate when I was on a 50/10Mbs connection, just switched to 100/10Mbs connection but have not tested it out on the subject matter of this thread.
    I am about due for a year renew and will probably due as the price and service have been good. Hoping they don't go down the toilet after I renew, will update post if things start to go bad. Appreciate this thread.
    Bob