DISCUSSION - ("Cold") disk imaging

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanzeel

Tanzeel MDL Junior Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Tried "Farstone TBR10_RM_ISO_64bitCPU.ISO". But the experience was not good. Tried to backup a 50 GB Partition (with 17 GB data). The backup stuck a 4% and the time went increasing to 42 minutes (and still increasing). So i quit the task. After that when i clicked on My Computer, the computer turned off suddenly. I am not going to try it any more.

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I've been upgrading some notebooks to ssd. With Acronis I had issues with a Lenovo notebook (bing uefi).
    Cloned without error, was able to boot into recovery, could not reset though.
    Tried AOMEI_BCKUPR_2.2_PRO_WINPE_8.1_EFI_X64.iso from EFA11 & success, all features work.
    Coolo!!!

Just to add to the above, I had to 1st force SSD to GPT (diskpart, con gpt) before using Clone mode GPT HDD to the GTP SSD (It saw the blank SSD as MBR).
    I did try the Migrate HDD to SSD option but that stuffed up the onekey recovery (it would boot to oobe instead of recovery)...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    #265 Flipp3r, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Slow day today so had a play with cloning a Toshiba S50Dt-B notebook.
    It has a 1TB HDD which I dumped onto a 256GB SSD.

AOMEI was unsuccessful. I even tried the 2.5 beta with no luck. 0xC0000225 when trying to boot the SSD.

Acronis TrueImage 2014 & 2015 partially worked. You could boot to desktop & Reset/Refresh functions worked.
    Power ON to recovery or selecting "HDD Recovery" from the bios boot menu did not.
    Interestingly if you look at the partitions Acronis has mixed the order:
    Code:
      Disk 1 Source.                                              Disk 2 Destination.
      Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset            Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------           -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
      Partition 1    Recovery          1024 MB  1024 KB           Partition 1    Reserved           128 MB    17 KB
      Partition 2    System             100 MB  1025 MB           Partition 2    Recovery          1024 MB   129 MB
      Partition 3    Reserved           128 MB  1125 MB           Partition 3    System             100 MB  1153 MB
      Partition 4    Primary            918 GB  1253 MB           Partition 4    Primary            210 GB  1253 MB
      Partition 5    Recovery            11 GB   919 GB           Partition 5    Recovery            11 GB   211 GB
    First time using Terabyte Image for Windows, worked Flawlessly! Fantastic!
    Partitions correct, all notebook features working fine. Power ON to recovery, boot to HDD Recovery - All work!
    Also tried it on a ASUS TP300L & that all worked as well. Restoring from an image worked too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    The odd thing is that Aomei worked on the Lenovo notebook.

I did try Drive Snapshot. I couldn't work out how to backup a whole disk, it only let me backup partitions with assigned drive letter.
    Perhaps it can only do full disk when run from dos or offline. From the command line you can backup volumes:
    I wouldn't mind getting Image for Windows onto my Win81SE. 1st page you mention serial in .ini & I know I've seen a script somewhere. I'll have a search tomorrow & get it going. Thanks.

5. CorporateRAT

CorporateRAT MDL Member

Aug 4, 2012
    If anybody has a link to the latest build of ShadowProtect recovery environment iso please PM me. Thanks in advance:worthy:

6. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I still find the free Acronis for WD the best imaging programs. I have been using it from win 7 and it still works in win 10 TP.
    The newer free versions of Acronis for Seagate/WD for download suck. Unfortunately, the older versions are not posted on their site.
    If someone wants them, I can post my mega download link in PM.

7. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Errors in backup and recovery, can mess up with UEFI (have required BIOS flashing), right click context menu issues.
    Upshot is that I have been using the same version since 2011. Have tried all subsequent versions though.

8. roynals

roynals MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2012
    #270 roynals, Feb 21, 2015
    Maybe ChrisR can try to use "driver class" method to send key such as WinIo.
    Code:
    WinIo website: internals.com
    Please do not ask me how to use WinIo as I do not know programming.:p:cool:

9. roynals

roynals MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2012
    I did nothing for ChrisR as I was not a member of TheOven.

10. Sklipnott

Sklipnott MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2015
    #274 Sklipnott, Dec 27, 2016
  11. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    So quickly scanning this thread I am down to using Acronis TI WD edition 206, Aomei Backupper, and Paragon Backup Restore Free.

The Aomei Backupper has two versions, one is "full" to try for 30 days and STANDARD. Will thelater automatically image all partitions on a GPT/EFI disk? Their website is a bit vague on this. And is there a difference between Backup and image? The standard version only supports Backup and clone option it seems.

12. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    HI guys.

Aomei Backupper rescue USB (WinPE) wont boot on my Asus T100 Chi tablet.

I tried disabling secure boot, and even with, no lucky. I booted this USB from within Win8.1 and through the BIOS bootmenu at tablet start. But the tablet will always boot straight to the main Windows 8.1. Not the rescue USB. Anyone know what I can do?

It seems it is something to do with UEFi devices (64bit) running 32bit Windows. For Gods sake this is terrible.

I do hve Macrium Reflect lying around but it cannot be installed on my tablet and I do not have Wifi right now.

13. TirOFlanc

TirOFlanc MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2015
    Redo Backup and Recovery

Hi,

For my backups, i use "Redo Backup and Recovery" : redobackup.org

No need installation, just create an USB key bootable (with e.g. : Rufus) and that's all ! :)

Have fun and good days

14. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    It's a dead project. Latest version released in 2012. I bet it won't work on recent UEFI computers.

15. TirOFlanc

TirOFlanc MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2015
    #279 TirOFlanc, Mar 19, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    Hi,

Not necessarily, look that com on sourceforge :

But you are right, doubt is allowed, so I will test it personally on my UEFI machine and I will come back to see you as soon as possible.

16. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    #280 °ツ, Apr 1, 2017