DISCUSSION - ("Cold") disk imaging

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, Feb 25, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katinka1

Katinka1 MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2016
    I gave up and will use any program to image my tablet live eather than offline.

I got another question.

I've made an image backup of my laptop system drive using Paragon 14. After I mount this image through Paragon with a driveletter. I can browse its contents. So I use TotalCommander to compare if both contents (image and system) are the same. I realized that windows does change a handfull of files on each restart. So these should differ from whats in the image. But now it seems almost each and every .dll file is not identical. What could be going on?

Has it something to do with compressed data in the Paragon disk-image? I can copy any file within this mounted image age to another deive. Then recompare to the same filenames on my C:\ system. But it still differs. What the heck?

2. ForeverYoung2

ForeverYoung2 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2015
    If you just want to backup your UEFI config then EasyUEFI it is.

If you need a full disk "clone" then there's no other but Macrium Reflect
    There's also an option to make the image universally compatible.

So you can image your DISK/Drive with windows on it and boot it on a different PC. Yes, not just a similar pc, it will even boot while going from an Intel cpu to AMD

3. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Macrium Reflect is a POS other than it can be free for personal use, when it comes to full disk image backup/restore. Speed and compression ratio is very poor as compared to most other disk imagers.

4. ForeverYoung2

ForeverYoung2 MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2015
    True. That's why I use Acronis Server, great compression.
    But Macrium is the only one that will reach the UEFI level
    Which would be nullified anyway when used on the next Bios.

5. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Actually now most disk imagers support UEFI secure boot now: Terabyte Image for Linux/Windows (my favorite); Acronis, Clonezilla (alternative edition based on Ubuntu); Drive Snapshot, Paragon, Symantec etc..

6. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    #287 GodHand, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    If ignorance was bliss, you'd be living in a paradise.

It's free
    Compression in the free version is good, though yes not as "tiny" as some other backup software.
    Its speed is absolutely fantastic. Clearly this complaint is an issue on your end and not with the software.
    Its cloning capability - even in the free version - implements SSD Trim.
    Its entirely scriptable.
    Its AES algorithm for securing backups is actually true AES cipher block encryption as established by NIST and FIPS-197.
    Their support is fantastic
    etc.
    etc.

It's eons beyond being a "POS," unlike software like Acronis, where the development team spent more time on a nice looking GUI than its backup and restoration abilities.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    #288 crashnburn, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Which one of these (ones on Sergey's iso) can Image/ Backup despite an Errorneous files/disk on Hard Drive for backup with ability to move forward/ ignore if any issues found?

There's PHDM, Macrium, Acronis etc etc. so many..

8. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Calm down, no need to start religious wars. Still a matter of taste and preferences :cool2:.

Bitching about the UI implies installing Acronis, something clever people never ever do. The PE version still has the old GUI and is nicely integrateable into WinPESE systems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    Which one of these (ones on Sergey's iso) would you pick?

- To Image/ Backup despite an Errorneous files/disk on Hard Drive for backup with ability to move forward/ ignore if any issues found?

There's PHDM, Macrium, Acronis etc etc. so many..

10. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    You know nothing about efficient disk imaging compression algorithms. Fanboys like yourself are always partially blind due to ignorance. Try Terabyte IFL/IFW, Drive Snapshot or Acronis PE for full disk imaging, you'll know what is fast disk imaging and efficient disk image compression.

11. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Beautiful non sequitur.

12. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Again, if ignorance was bliss...

Thanks for the laugh, though ;)

13. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Stupid fanboys always think their own opinions are facts. Grown up. Tired educating Internet morons.

14. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    @oliverjia Better not feed him. The username should read *Complex instead of *Hand :cool2:.

15. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Ah, kids. Always resorting to ad hominem attacks when they can't defend their initial premise.

Thanks for further proving my initial point :) Anyways, carry on, lads.

16. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    #298 °ツ, Jun 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2017
    Terabyte Image for Windows 3.08

[This isn't a warez forum]

17. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #299 Dark Knight, Jul 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    I hate to tell ya, you really don't know what you are talking about, I have used both Macrium and Acronis and hands down I would much rather Macrium, has nothing to do with free versus paid Macrium is just a much better built software.
    Macrium doesn't slow my system down whereas Acronis's bloatware does, Macrium can backup my SSD OS drive in less than 15 minutes whereas it takes Acronis 30+ minutes to do the same. I recently did full disk backups using both Acronis and Macrium, Acronis came in at 110 GB and Macrium at 38 GB, so much for you compression ratio remark.

I have recovered from images made from both and am able to recover with Macrium 100% of the time whereas Acronis I have only had luck with it approximately 75% of the time.

There was a time when I thought Acronis was one of the top notch backup programs but unfortunately as with not only Acronis but a lot of other softwares over time they tend not to stick with what they know best, greed takes over and in order to be able to charge more money they start throwing every useless thing they can think of but the kitchen sink into their software and eventually it becomes bloatware, sorry, but that is what Acronis is, bloatware, I have 16GB of ram on my system and I can feel Acronis drag on it, the moment I uninstall it my system perfomance improves exponentially, It's a memory pig, unfortunately It cost me $50 to find it out but it was a lesson well learned.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I'm a "Terabytist" since 2006. :) :p